Difference between Spectrum and Plus engines.

Started by LarrySmith, March 31, 2007, 02:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarrySmith

I have 3 Plus diesels and 6 Spectrum diesels and they all run great.  I was just wondering what the actual factory difference is between the two lines.  Can DCC be installed on both Spectrum and Plus engines?  I understand that Spectrum has greater detail than Plus but what are the actual differences?

Thank you,
Larry Smith

Stephen Warrington

Hi Larry,

The Spec models do have much greater detail than the plus. I have owned both Spec and Plus versions of several Steamers sorry no diesels all Athearn, Atlas and Proto 2000 in that field.

But in comparing my plus N&W J 4-8-4 to my new Spec version, theSpec version has crisper paint and lettering and runs much much smoother. Its like comparing 1990s TYCO Steam to the stuff we see today, I consider the plus more of a train set engine and not a model. Also the Spec models have a much better motor in my opinion and DCC can be added alot easier to Spec than the old Plus series according to several friends who have done it. I run only DC and cant comment on that from experiance.

I am sure others on the board can answer your DCC questions much better than I can.

Stephen

SteamGene

A lot depends on the age of the Plus.  The newer ones, at least the steam, are DCC ready.  Older ones may need hardwiring.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Nigel

Quote from: LarrySmith on March 31, 2007, 02:23:04 AM
what are the actual differences?
The detailing.

The Plus model diesel drivetrains are the same as similar vintage Spectrum model diesels.  DCC can be installed with a little work, the approach is the same as non-DCC ready Spectrum.

For non-F unit Plus diesels - such as the SD45, GP35, etc, see:
http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

For Plus F7 models see:
http://www.digitrax.com/kb/index.php?a=184
except use DH123 or DH163 wired decoders.  This article is several decoder generations old.

Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955