News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modeling 1905

Started by Yampa Bob, May 27, 2009, 12:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

I believe there are several members who model the 1905 era. I ran across the following site that might be of interest.

http://www.1905railroadmodeling.com/

Enjoy
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

OkieRick

Thanks - the article about putting speakers and Tsunami sound in a Russian Decapod was interesting.

I'm going to do that to my DCC Ready Rusian if I ever get it back from Bachmann Repair.  A call Tuesday netted the regular, "It will take 6 to 8 weeks," which is what I was told when I first called in March.

Okie
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

Yep, I figured you would like the article.  8)

pdlethbridge

What? waiting 6 to 8 weeks?

Woody Elmore

The "Russian" decapods didn't exist in 1905.

Terry Toenges

Bob - Harold Minsky used to post on here.
Feel like a Mogul.

OkieRick

Quote from: Woody Elmore on May 28, 2009, 11:01:30 AM
The "Russian" decapods didn't exist in 1905.

No unless maybe on paper or as an idea.  Info on the spur of the moment is:

Prior to the start of World War One, the Russian Imperial Government ordered over 1200 "Decapod" type 2-10-0 steamers from Alco and Baldwin. But the Russian Revolution forced the cancellation of the order in 1917, leaving 200 undelivered. In 1918, these locos were rebuilt for US service and turned over to the United States Railroad Administration (USRA) who assigned them to various roads. In 1920, many of these "Russian Decapods" as the locos were coming to be known, began finding homes with smaller railroads. There, the combination of light weight and good pulling power made them an ideal freight engine. For some roads, they were the biggest steam locos ever purchased.

I only said there was an article about putting 2 speakers and a Tsunami in a Russian located at the above Bob mentioned link, not that there were Russian Decapods out in 1905.

clearing myself up...

Rick

Yampa Bob

I found a reference to a Russian owned by Philadelphia & Reading #1127 , allegedly built in 1905-1906. ("The Unintended Patriot").  Modeling article in Dec 2002 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman by Robert Davis.

I think the keyword is "Era", perhaps 1905-1917, which covers both revolutions. Approximately 1,000 were delivered during that period, the last 200 undelivered, no specific record of when the first one was built.

Anyway that was slightly before my time so I wouldn't know.   :D

OkieRick

Quote from: pdlethbridge on May 28, 2009, 02:50:33 AM
What? waiting 6 to 8 weeks?

Ayep, for about four months now.  Bless her heart, Bea can't say it's being worked on, it's ready or shipped untill it is.  She's doing her job.

Rick

wjstix

On the 1905 website it did say re the Spectrum Decapod:

"It is a good substitute and can be backdated and the domes lowered to look more American."

It's still going to be a bit wider than a typical engine of the period, but I don't think that's all that noticeable.

BTW I think there were 2-10-0s in the US in 1905, just not "Russian" ones like these.