News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Truck wheel diameter sizes

Started by mabloodhound, May 29, 2009, 06:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabloodhound

Currently Bachmann offers 6 different trucks.   
Is there anywhere (either on Bachmann or another website) that the wheel diameters are specified and the height of each truck assembly?

I'm planning to build a couple of rolling stock kits and maybe a scratchbuild and would like to follow 1920's prototype as close as possible.
I have the correct Cyclopedia but need to know which wheelsets and trucks are close to dimensions.
I've been unable to find any dimension drawings on the Bachmann website.

Thanks
Dave M.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

AlanM

Dave:
   I can get things started:  "low rider" trucks, as on the log cars have 22" wheels.  Standard freight trucks have 24" as do the passenger car trucks.  Tender trucks on the consolidation seem to be 26".
    Alan

mabloodhound

Thanks Alan, that's a good start.
Under the On30 accessories, Bachmann lists 5 trucks:

1- Low Frame 4'1" Arch Bar
2- Long Wheel base Arch Bar
3- Arch Bar Freight
4- Diecast Passenger
5- Vulcan Freight

It would be nice to know the wheel diameters of these and other frame dimensions so they can be used by scratch builders.   
And do all of these come with Metal wheelsets?
Maybe the Bach Man has some info.
Dave Mason

railtwister

The Bachmann HO Thomas the Tank Engine series of freight cars have some very nice 8 spoke metal wheels that can be used for On30 as well, since their diameter is .500" or 24" in O scale. For that matter, if you are looking to build some small two axle mine or sugar-cane cars, the Thomas line is a good source for a rolling chassis. The cars roll well straight out of the box, all you need to do is change the couplers. The original hook-loop units are held on by one screw and two positioning pins, and the mounting pad needs to be filed down some in order to mount Kadees at the proper height.

Regards,
Bill

mabloodhound

That's a good suggestion Bill.   I'm definitely going to look for some of those cars.   Looks like they are a good resource all around. 8)
I still would like to know more about the ones in Bachmann's On30 list.
Dave Mason

mabloodhound

Well, never hearing anything from the Bach Man, I went out and bought a set of each of the 4 freight trucks and measured them myself.
To bad Bachmann doesn't supply this info, especially with the variation I found when measuring them.
So for those interested, the following is what I found.

On30 RR Truck Dimensions

Actual Measured / Scale Dimension
Item #    Description                 Wheel Diameter   Wheel Base    Bolster Ht.
Bachmann (all metal wheels)                                                   above Rails
29901    Arch Bar Freight Truck      .510 / 24½"     .95 / 45½"      .50 / 24"
29903    Arch Bar Long Wheelbase  .508 / 24"     1.113 / 53½"   .468 / 22½"
29904    Arch Bar Low Frame         .451 / 21½"   1.032 / 49½"   .300 / 14½"
29905    Vulcan Freight                 .497 / 24"      1.02 / 49"        .44 / 21"
Dave Mason

Geared Steam

Old topic I know but I would like to add one dimension to the figures above. On the On30 18" boxcars, it seems they are using the
29901 Arch Bar Freight Truck, but with 18" diameter wheels that equates close to 33" HO Scale wheelset.