News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thunderbolt Express

Started by Hiddenfarce, June 03, 2009, 01:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiddenfarce

I have a used 90011*  ATSF Thunderbolt Express that is pretty much a complete set, but I'm missing the power pack connector. I'm new to trains and since the set didn't come with any printed material I'm not sure how to get this train working. Does anyone have and info for me or a list of items that are supposed to be with the set. I appreciate any help.

Paul

Loco Bill

Hi Paul
If you have a power pack but not the track connector, you can run wires from the power pack and solder them to the rail joiners instead.  If you have neither the power pack or the track connector you can buy an aftermarket power pack at you local hobby shop and use that instead. Any brand will do.  Connectors vary from brand to brand.

Bachmann sells a replacement track connector, but it is listed as out of stock.

Your Thunderbolt Express was made from 1989 to 1992. It was the first Bachmann large scale set made.  There should be 14 pieces of track,  the power pack, connecting wires, the track connector, a vial of smoke fluid, and plastic track clips to hold the track together.  The larger plastic clips are used on the curved track.  There is also a conic book style set of instructions.   

You willl need a 9 volt battery, which goes in the tender hatch, to get the chuff sound. There is a switch behind the smoke box door on the very front of the loco which controls the smoke unit.  The smoke unit is most likely burned out.  If the switch is left on and there is no smoke fluid in the stack it will bur5n out very quickly.

Good luck with you set, and welcome to large scale!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Paul W.

the track power connectors come up on ebay as well.

Good luck  ;D
Happy Steamin'

Paul