News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cutting EZ track

Started by John Honeck Sr, June 03, 2009, 11:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Honeck Sr

I have a layout software and I been using EZ track except were I need special lengths and curve,s to fit, then I use the Atlas library that has software to cut straight and curve track. The question I have can I cut EZ track to lengths and curves and will they fit with standard EZ track? Is there a method to connect these tracks?

Santa Fe buff

Why not just use standard track, better, how about flex track. It's interchangeable with E-Z track, just add cork or foam for better support underneath the standard track.

Regards,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Pacific Northern

I have no problem cutting E-Z track. If you follow this you can use both the track and roadbed pieces.  If you use nippers you will have problems using the roadbed sections.

I  cut the track, after carefully marking the length I need,

I cut the track using a hack saw with a metal cutting blade and continue through the rail and the plastic roadbed. I then clean up the metal cut with my dremel.  The freshly cut track will be flush to the existing track.

Joining the two pieces (rail and roadbed) is easy, once you have slipped on rail joiners and attached the track  use hot glue to attach the roadbed. I may or may not cut off the E-Z tab, depending upon the length of the track piece.
Pacific Northern

rustyrails

A small square or a piece of wood will give you something to brace the saw on and help keep the cut perpendicular to the rails.  EZ Track uses code 100 rail, so make sure you get code 100 rail joiners.
Rusty

Yampa Bob

Hi John,
This is what I use to cut track.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX5802&P=7

"Extra fine stainless steel teeth make razor smooth cuts"

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Woody Elmore

Yampa - that saw is what Atlas used to call a "snap" saw. I was going to recommend the same tool before I saw your posting. When I worked in HO I found the best tool for cutting rail was a Dremel using a cutting disk. Of Course with EZ track you also have to cut the roadbed.

rustyrails

Cut-off disks rule!  Especially if you have one of the flexible extensions for the Dremel that allows you to get the tool sooooo close to perpedicular to the rail.  But PLEASE wear eye protection when using a cut-off disk.  They will shatter at the drop of a hat, sending shrapnel in all directions.
Rusty

Yampa Bob

Woody Elmore

Yampa you are a mind reader. I have a Xuron tool and forgot to mention it in my previous post. 

John Honeck Sr

Thank You all. I will keeping watching for more tips, if there are any.

Yampa Bob

Just one tip, always cut the piece a few thousandths too long, then sand to fit with an emery board and crocus cloth.

There's an old carpenter's expression: "I cut it twice and it's still too short."

Terry Toenges

I've used saws and cutoff wheels.
I like cutoff wheels the best. Get the ones that are multi-layered and black. The thin tannish ones do tend to shatter easily.
Be very careful and hold the rails because they can come loose from the roadbed with the back and forth motion from the saw.
Is it possible to just adjust the track plan to accommodate standard EZ Track pieces? 
The only pieces I ever cut now are the turnouts when I need a stub turnout.
Don't forget the 2" EZ Track straights that aren't sold separate from the crossings.
Feel like a Mogul.