News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Bridges

Started by dmolavi, June 16, 2009, 11:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmolavi

I'm looking for a bridge (specifically a covered bridge like this one) for my On30 shelf layout.  Length is an issue, so the Lionel one, at 2 feet long, is a bit too much.  Does anyone know of any other manufacturers that make shorter bridges?

James Thomas

Have you thought about cutting the middle out of the one you like and gluing the ends back together?  Doesn't look like it would be too difficult since there are board lines to follow.

A covered bridge is also not extremely difficult to scratchbuild -- would make a good scratchbuilt first project.

-JRT

dmolavi

I've decided cutting is the way to go.  I'd love to scratchbuild (done lots of it in the past w/ other modeling pursuits), but with infant twins and a 3 year old, I hardly have time to enjoy my trains as it is :)

renniks

Bachmann have a covered (road) bridge in the Plasticville range that can probably be adapted. The Bach-Man used parts for a building on one of his exhibition layouts. Look back thru the pages in the Photo Gallery. Also Products--O scale--kits--page 4  in left hand column.

Eric UK

dmolavi

The Plasticville bridge is no where near the look that i'm trying to get (replicating a real bridge in New Hampshire). The Lionel bridge is pretty much dead on. 

What's the best way to cut through these plastic creations? I'm guessing a very fine tooth hacksaw...

ebtnut

Get yourself a razor saw (X-acto makes one) from your LHS.  Scribe lines where you want to cut, then cut as close to the lines as you can.  Finish up to square with fine sandpaper. 

dmolavi

Thanks. now i just have to try to make it out of the shop with JUST the razor saw and not $500 worth of rolling stock...