News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

my dcc controller

Started by Daylight4449, June 08, 2009, 05:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

okay, I have wanted the zephyr for many months but suddenly, i realize i could save a fortune in buying the ez command. is there any major difference that would affect me?

I have about 6 locos, and an l layout with the two long sides 10 feet long.

Tylerf

well first of all the ez command and zepher are on totally different playing fields. i started off with the ez command and it did what its intended which is to be the bare minimum loco control system for an easy start to dcc which it did very well. however the zepher which i transitioned to is a starter system but really its a start into digitrax system that does everything. the zepher has capability way beyond the ez command like for starters the ez command can only power 2-3 locos without a booster, where the zepher can easily handle 6+. the zepher is a full dcc system with great programming capabilities, along with 4 digit addressing and thats just the start. the only downside i could see that doesent even bother me is the fact that the zepher can only be in command of one loco at a time without typing in a new locomotive whereas ez command has every loco just a push button away. also the zepher along with all digitrax is very easily expandable with loconet and extra throttles and all that good stuff. so im not saying either system is bad, im just saying that unless you have no use for all the extra features the zepher has you cant just get the ez command thinking its a way better deal because it is really basic compared to the zepher which is definetly worth the extra dollars.

Chris350

While the Zephyr will only run one loco at a time as mentioned. it's a solid starting point to build on.  Adding a DT400 throttle, gives one all the flexibility needed to open up all sorts of neat worm cans.  EZ command and Zephyr are really apples and oranges in my book.  Both do what they are designed to do.  The difference is in what the user intends to do in the future, and be aware of the limitations of the systems one chooses.  A zephyr will also support more than one throttle.  It's really a mini command station with a built in throttle.

rustyrails

Mind you, this is just my opinion:

If you think you are going to stay in model railroading until you're an old guy like me, the Zephyr is a solid value.  You can get an EZ Command and enjoy it, but eventually, you're going to want to do something that the EZ Command can't do.  So you'll have to spring for the Zephyr or some other "starter set" that has the capabilities you need.  That "good buy" you got doesn't seem so good, suddenly.  

I own a Zephyr and some other Digitrax hardware going back to the mid 90's and here are some of the things that I like about it and the company in no particular order.  Some may seem silly, but remember Rule 1.  
1. The LocoNet architecture.  LocoNet is event driven, not polled.   That's pretty transparent to the user, but more efficient;
2 . Compatibility: My new Zephyr works with the Digitrax parts I bought in the mid 90's;
3.  4 digit addressing;  It's so easy to use the road number for the address;
4.  I think programming is easy using the Zephyr, others may not, but except for changing the address, EZ Command doesn't give you the opportunity to find out.
5.  Digitrax throttles:  I just really like the designs.  I am especially fond of my utility throttle that is very to use one-handed without looking;
6.  DCC is what Digitrax does.  If they don't do it well, they're out of business.
7.  Customer support.  They answer e-mail right now.
8.  Digitrax is an American owned and operated company.  
9.  Digitrax parts look like they belong on a model railroad instead of a video game.

Bottom line is it's your railroad.  Do you have a friend who uses some system other than EZ Command?  Go visit.  Try using as many different systems as you can, including EZ Command.  You'll figure out what works best for you.  Hope this helps.
Rusty

Nathan

There are many fine DCC systems, do not over look them.

NCE is also an US company.  They make a starter system called the PowerCab that is worth a look.  It is upward compatable with their other equipment.  They also only do DCC.

CVP is also a US company.  They are smaller operation, but have a loyal following.

While Lenz is out of Germany, thay are the ones that are the reason DCC is here.

All of them, and others, work with their customers when they have a problem.

Daylight4449

i asked because while i know the zephyr is fancier, i have such a limited budget it is not funny.

Guilford Guy

Quote from: Daylight4449 on June 09, 2009, 03:31:45 PM
i asked because while i know the zephyr is fancier, i have such a limited budget it is not funny.
You have a limited budget, but why buy a bunch of life like locos, when you know eventually you'll need Atlas/P2k/Spectrum, and you'll have wasted money on the Life Like ones. Save up for the zephyr, you'll be able to get something with that $60 that you didn't spend on the EZ command.
Alex

Yampa Bob

I'm already an "old guy", that's why I prefer EZ Command. I have used it for almost 3 years, no menus to go through, simple one button push to acquire a loco. I don't even have to look at the controller for all functions, so I can do what model railroading is all about (to me), watching and enjoying my trains, which is a task in itself with my eyes. I'm probably an EZ Command snob but I love it, enough to buy two more just for spares. And as Rusty said, good old Rule #1.

However, today's trains and control systems offer many new challenges and possibilities to help maintain interest, so that the hobby will not become boring as there is always more to learn. Aside from those features that don't provide any benefits for me, we now have the ability to control turnouts, signals, mars and ditch lights, beacons, independent control of headlight and taillight, access all the noises incorporated in sound decoders, map function buttons, even add BEMF for switching and grades. I think the advanced controllers are great, and I hope we see even more exciting developments. (such as better manuals)  >:(  They're just not for me since I'm having such good success with EZ Command.

I can afford any controller I choose, and if I were 10 years younger and had my sight back, I would probably be tempted to get a Zephyr to compliment my EZ Command.  All locomotives could be "tuned to the max" on a program track with Zephyr, but I could still enjoy the simplicity of running the main with EZ Command.

Bottom line, Daylight, why wait until you can afford a Zephyr when you can be enjoying the benefits of DCC now? Litchfield has EZ Command for $80 and no shipping charges.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rustyrails

pdlethbridge

CV snob here. Bob, Bob, Bob, What am I going to do with you? If you had bought the Power Cab first instead of 3 ez commands we wouldn't be having this discussion. Deep, deep, deep down inside you have a lust to change CV's. Don't deny it, you know it's true. I bet you're counting you loose change right now to see if you can get the Power Cab. :o :o :o :o :o

WGL

Daylight, I started DCC with EZ Command & like its simplicity & ease of use.  I think the discounted price is about $80.  I went on eBay & bought a used one for $40; it has worked well for 10 months so far.  I think I've gotten my money's worth already.  As my layout grew & I added several locomotives with sound, I bought Bachmann's 5 amp booster, which cost about 3 times as much as my EZ Command!

Among the cheapest locomotives with sound are BLI's BlueLine DC with sound.  I've bought two, but I also bought DCC decoders to install.  I discovered that, if I wanted them to perform like my locomotives that came with DCC, I would have to get a DCC system that would program.  I decided to get the Digitrax Zephyr.  I could not find it cheaper on eBay than from an Internet store, $155.  I immediately programmed my BLI locos to have momentum for gradual starts & stops to avoid uncouplings.

The Zephyr will give you 2.5 amps to run more locomotives than EZ Command's 1.5.  Some say EZ Command actually puts out only 1 amp.

jward

here are reasons that i chose the zephyr over the other systems on the market.
first of all, it is the most cost effective system for what your initial outlay is.
you have a full capability dcc system at a reasonable price, with the added bonus that you can use your existing dc power packs as 2 additional throttles. with most others, additional throttles cost an extra $100 or so, EACH. since you probably have the power packs that came with your original train set, that's one less thing you have to buy.

second, while you may only have a couple of locomotives, the zephyr has features that will allow you to get the most flexibility out of them. it supports consisting, the ability to have two locomotives controlled as one on the same train. i don't believe ez command does that. you can also use the locomotive number as the address. ez command doesn't do that either.

the question was asked, why do i need 9999 possible addresses? the answer is simple. it is much easier to look at locomotive #3798, and program that number into your controller than it is to try to remember exactly WHAT number controls 3798 on a lesser system.

third, the zephyr, while an entry level system, is fully expandable as your finances allow. do you REALLY want to have to buy another dcc system when you outgrow the cheap one? i don't......

4th, you have a locomotive that runs faster than the rest and want to slow it down so it runs like the others? do you want effects like momentum? easily done with the zephyr.

i can fully understand the cost concerns. it delayed my own conversion to dcc for many years. i looked at many different systems to see what was most cost effective before i bought, and i chose the zephyr.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BestSnowman

I think Bachmann should read this thread because it appears that there is a market between EZ-Command and Dynamis that can be purchased as an add on to EZ-Command without having to replace your entire investment.

What I would like to see is a Zephyr like product that work with existing EZ-Command and EZ-Command companions.

I already have 7 locomotives, and will probably run out of address space in a year or two. If Bachmann were to release a product with features similar to the Zephyer but allowed me to set shortcut addresses I could have 4 digit addresses and CV programming when I want to and simple use when I don't. I would have no problem setting a secondary shortcut address for exisiting EZ-Command/Companions (i.e. something that maps 1 on the EZ Command to the four digit address 3507).

I would definitely buy something like this if Bachmann were to make it.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jward

i second that thought. while i am invested in digitrax and wouldn't buy one now, if such a system had been available when i was looking i would have seriously considered it and might have bought. especially if it came with a dcc on board locomotive......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Guilford Guy

Lenz LH90 throttle has that feature. You can toggle between 8 addresses by pressing a button (forgot the name at the moment, will look later), and use a wheel similar to the EZ Commands to control speed. LH100 throttles can toggle between 2 locos by pressing "ESC" and uses buttons to control speed. Both have screens.
Alex