News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Athern Genesis

Started by Bill Baker, June 12, 2009, 09:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

The survey, conducted jointly by the NMRA and Kalmbach, was conducted in April of 1995, quite a while a go at this point. A summary/interpretation of the results was published in Model Railroader in May of 1996. How valid the results were, or are now, is open to debate.

With respect to layout ownership and size:

78% indicated they had a home layout

of those, size breakdown was as follows:

44.6% - 74 sq ft or less

23.9% - 75-149 sq ft

18.8% - 150-299 sq ft

10.3% - 300 or more sq ft

2.4% - no answer to this question

The inhearent problem is how did each modeler measure their layout size? did they include isles, give overall room size of train deticated space OR measure actual bench work surface area. The info provided in the survey does indicate if such information was requested of, or suggested to, the respondants.

There is a natural tendancy that would suggest a person with two 4x8 platforms, lets say in one corner of a basement, would respond saying his layout is only 64 sq ft. BUT, a person with an around the walls layout that fills a spare 12 x 16 room may likely just say his layout is 192 sq ft. Yet his actual bench work area is likely only half that. Making his layout only 40% larger than the two 4x8 layout, rather than the indicated 300%

I have done a lot of layout design work for other modelers. In general only 50% or less of the floor space translates into layout surface area. But people with two 4x8 platforms don't think about their isle space, which is typically as much or more than the "benchwork" area. A two foot walkway all the way around your two 4x8's is 80 sq ft - larger than the benchwork!!!

I'll bet most have isles bigger than two feet wide! pd, your layout is now 144 sq ft when compared to my 800 sq ft deticated room! Not as big a difference measured that way. A great many of those who indicated their layouts where less than 74 sq ft, may well have layouts very similar in working size and scope to even the next two catagories up.

My layout is in a 800 sq ft room above my garage/workshop. It is still under construction. BUT, as designed, even with its double decks, will only represent about  500 to 600 sq ft of bench work surface area. My isles are purposely big for easy access and viewing. 

One big factor in this is layout shape and design concept. Most meduim to large layouts these days are "walk around" in nature with bench work only 1 to 3 feet deep wraping or weaving around the room. After all, trains are a "linear" kind of thing.

Still working hard for more "privilages",

Sheldon

jonathan

I feel a poll coming on!  I, too, would be very interested to know the average size of a home layout.  By the calculations discussed above, my benchwork area is 122 sq ft.  If I add isle space for walking around the layout, that's an additional 142 sq ft:  total 264 sq ft.  If anyone is interested I would be happy to start a new thread.  We could call it "Average Layout Size" or something similar.  Thoughts?

Regards,

Jonathan 

rogertra

The question should be "How much space, in square feet, does your model railway.road occupy?"

Mine's in a 12 x 16 foot room but it isn't a 192sq. ft. model railway.  You could probably take away 50 to 60 sq. ft. for aisle space but is somebody asks "How big is your model railway?" I say, "It occupies as 12 x 16 foot room."

So, if you have a 4 x 8 stuck in the corner of a room, then you can say that you have a 4 x 8 stuck in the corner of a room.  If you have a 30 x 50 foot basement full of a model railroad then just give that dimension.  If you model railroad occupies say half of a 30 x 50 foot room, then just say that it's half of a 30 x 50 foot room.

No need for square footage as that can mean at least two different things.

But then again, some people like to impress others with size.  :)

Yampa Bob

Shucks, I wasn't even counted in the survey.  How about a category "32 square feet or less".  I only have 30 square feet.   >:( 

Guess I could build a wall wraparound shelf layout in my bathroom and have 80 square feet.  :D

We have 60 acres ranch proper, I would build a full scale railroad except for the 10% grades.

Amazing how this thread has gone from "split gears" > traction tires > weight > layout size > "can you top this?".  Yeah, blame it on me. I should have never mentioned "traction tires".  Oops...Excuuuuuuuuuse me.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: jonathan on June 18, 2009, 07:23:17 AM
I feel a poll coming on!  I, too, would be very interested to know the average size of a home layout.  By the calculations discussed above, my benchwork area is 122 sq ft.  If I add isle space for walking around the layout, that's an additional 142 sq ft:  total 264 sq ft.  If anyone is interested I would be happy to start a new thread.  We could call it "Average Layout Size" or something similar.  Thoughts?

Regards,

Jonathan 

Go for the poll

I myself would opt for the net size of the layout. Aisle areas would in my opinion distort the real layout size.

Also note that the poll would be for HO only.

When I previously asked what the average size was I was surprised how many people took exception to the word "average", it appears that a more acceptable word would have been typical size.
Pacific Northern

pdlethbridge

Sheldon, my layout is still only 64 sq ft. Its only 2 - 4x8 homasote covered plywood no matter how its sliced
The basement is 15' wide