News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wish I had 100 of these.

Started by jonathan, June 12, 2009, 09:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Allrighty then,  this is a test to see if I got the system down, now.  I resized this image to "320" wide.  Can you see it?  If so, this is an old Roundhouse kit #1427 B&O Rectangular 20' ore car.  I fell in love with it the minute I saw it on an LHS shelf... abandoned and alone.  I rescued it, and now I'm on a never ending quest to find its identical bretheren and sistern. 

It looks great behind my connies, 44-tonner, and H16-44.  The weathering is all dry-brush.  I think the greenish tint is the reflection off the ground foam onto the car.  I'm a lousy photographer, but will get better.

Regards,  Jonathan

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jonathan

Gene,

The car number is 975.  The kit model number is 1427.

S,

Jonathan (RPC, USNret) brother?

RAM

I have 4 red one undec.  I may have more of different road names. 

jonathan

RAM

I've only found one other so far.  It was light  LIGHT green.  Penn Central or something.  I repainted it to match the B&O (hull red plus a touch of this and a touch of that).  Now I need Capitol Dome Decals or dry transfers.
R, Jonathan

ALCOS4EVER

I see these as kits and already built for sale at train shows a lot. Usually about $5.00 each.
     I saw a 100 plus car train of these operate at a model RR club open house in Mass. a couple of years ago. Very impressive. I love long trains.
     Good work and good luck.

uncbob

I bought 12 of Walters new Data only Ore cars and decorated them for my ME&O
Made my own fake ore loads

Had my 4-8-2 pulling 24 coal cars and the 12   ores plus caboose

Looks neat but a bit too long for my 4X10 layout 

WoundedBear

Try some of these ones. I have a string of these servicing the mines on my layout.

http://www.micromark.com/HO-SCALE-22-WOODEN-ORE-CAR-KITS-PKG-OF-2,8942.html

Sid

CNE Runner

Sid, I have been drooling over these cars in the Micro Mark catalog as well. Unfortunately they are too 'new' for my circa 1889 layout...then again I suppose I could play a little loose with history (these cars were first produced around 1902).

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

CNE wrote, "then again I suppose I could play a little loose with history (these cars were first produced around 1902)."

Remember rule one...

My story is these ore cars were released from ore service in 1924, and continued on serving as ballast cars, and leased by B&LE to haul coal in long consists from WV to Ohio, turn around at the Great Lakes shoreline and head back for more ballast or coal.  That's why you see them in the switchbacks being pulled by late steam and early diesel.  Works for me...  and at least partially true.

R,  J

Yampa Bob

Jonathan,
I just visited your album, it loaded fast and the pictures look great. I'm especially impressed with the lighting and detail.  Good job.

Hey, I always say: "It's my story and I can tell it any way I want to".   :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

BestSnowman

Thats a nice ore car, it looks very similar to the some DM&IR ore cars walthers has.

I'm not sure what it is, but I have this draw towards Ore Cars. All I have right now for ore cars is some Bachmann Ore Cars in DM&IR, UP, and PRR because thats what I can find at the local hobby lobby (though they only carry one at a time).
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jonathan

BestStnowman,

I never was a fan for those outside braced ore cars.  Like you, I can't explain it, but these little shorty ore car kits are the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I wish one of the major manufacturers (hint hint) would get the molds for these beauties and re-release them.  They must not have sold well when Roundhouse originally put on the market.  I must have bad luck, too, because most modellers I talk to say they see them all the time at train shows.  I never do, and I really, really look.

Yampa Bob,

Thanks for the kind words.  When I start adding people, lights, signs, animals, poles, trash cans, gates, weathering, bushes, etc, etc, I take a few more shots and post 'em.  Just figured this was a good spot to record progress on the build.

R,  J

CNE Runner

I really enjoyed your Photobucket album...very well organized. Your layout looks great and must be a source of pride. Thanks for allowing us to share your world.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

Thanks, Ray.  It's not up their with my kids, but it's certainly brings me joy. 

If you want to see something not so well organized, check out the ghastly weathering on some of my box cars.  Ah, well, it must mean I need MORE weathering.

Anyway, I've got some recoupling to do...

Regards,

Jonathan