News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Sound Locomotives

Started by Yampa Bob, June 12, 2009, 11:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

I had a lengthy conversation today with George at Soundtraxx, regarding the "Tsunami Technology" sound decoders factory  installed in Bachmann steam locomotives.

First some definitions.
"OEM" stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, which can mean a company that uses the product of another company in manufacturing, (Bachmann), or a company that supplies the component to the factory, (Soundtraxx).   Soundtraxx makes the decoder according to Bachmann's specifications, and Bachmann installs the decoder.  Not being fond of word games, I get tired of typing "Tsunami Technology",  it's easier to just type OEM.

"After Market", or "AM"...For this report, I use this acronym to mean "The after market, separately purchased, user installed, full featured" Tsunami sound decoder.

Unless specified otherwise, the following pertains to the OEM version installed by Bachmann.

1.  The technical reference manual included on the CD packed with each Bachmann sound locomotive IS THE SAME manual that is downloadable from Soundtraxx. Therefore the manual may make reference to features that are not available in the OEM version.

2.  The only lighting functions are directional headlight and taillight. (The AM version has 2 auxiliary lighting effects that can be mapped to function buttons.

3.   Exhaust Synchronization Cam (ESC) connection is NOT provided.

4.   "Fireman Freddy" NOT included in sounds. Sound "equalizer" NOT included.

5.   CVs pertaining to  Extended (4 digit) address, Vstart, Vmax, Acceleration, Deceleration, BEMF, and Advanced Consisting ARE supported.  Vmid is NOT supported.  We did not discuss speed tables.

6.   Only three (3) whistles are available, selection depends on locomotive class. (AM versions have six (6)).

7.   Decoder installed at the factory is specific to locomotive "class"..... 4-4-0 light steam, 2-8-0 medium steam, 2-10-0 heavy steam, refer to the Soundtraxx site for complete list of appropriate classes and decoders.  Whatever the chart says, that's what you can expect to receive.

8.   CV 29 preset to a value of 6 (analog enabled.)  (AM versions preset to value of 2, analog disabled)

9.   Programming CVs:  The Soundtraxx program track booster (PTB-100) is highly recommended but may not be required for some  DCC systems. Due to the diversity of systems, Soundtraxx won't make controller specific recommendations regarding this. If you can't program Tsunami, you need the booster.

Other notes.
George will be adding "blogs" on the site about using the Soundtraxx Programming Track Booster (PTB-100), mapping light functions and other instructions, but they will apply primarily to the AM version.  George patiently walked me through mapping mars and ditchlights to  F9, F5 and F6, including values for CV 51 (Phase A crossing logic) and CV 52 (Phase B crossing logic) to link horn to flashing ditch lights.  That would be cool for my diesels.  The tech reference manual has all charts and details to map the functions.

I think that covers all we discussed. George, being the expert he is, was rattling off all this stuff, while I'm writing as fast as my eyes would allow. Therefore I assume no responsibility for errors or omissions.  8)   
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

CV29 is one of those CV's that has a myriad of settings to control 14/28/128 speed steps, lighting normal or reverse direction, allowing or not allowing DC operation, and finally 2 or 4 digit  addressing.
    As compared to a regular AM decoder, the OEM's are very simple. If it were a part for a computer, an OEM part would not have the software or cables that an AM would have and the price would be adjusted accordingly. OEM's are basically as cheap as you can get and contribute to the low cost of a computer or a steam locomotive.

Yampa Bob

This is a handy calculator to demonstrate CV 29. Tick the items you want and read the value at the bottom, or change (read) the bottom value and hit "back calc" to see what is set.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

Yampa Bob

The Tsunami "Technical Reference Manuals" are just that, technical information for each CV. They are intended for more advanced / experienced programmers. For basic programming instructions and examples, users will need the following manuals. They are probably on the CD, but some may want to study them in advance.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/Bachmann%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/OEM%20Steam%20Users%20Guide.pdf

Soundtraxx decoders are made here in Colorado. The next time we get down Durango way we will take a tour.  To see how the decoders are made, visit this page: (scroll down to "May 19".)

http://soundtraxx-soundbytes.blogspot.com/

There is a Tech Tip section on the PTB-100 booster. Another section details setting up the Hyperlights for After Market (AM) versions. 

Robertj668

Bob
Did he mention anything about Bachmann Diesels coming with sound in the future?
Robert

Yampa Bob

Robert,
I can only report that it's in the "planning stage". Soundtraxx is now making OEM decoders for Athearn diesels, but I haven't received any information about Bachmann.

Anyway, I'm sure The Bach-man will announce "if or when" diesels are available with sound, I prefer not to speculate or start rumors. 

You might visit the Soundtraxx site frequently, they usually announce any new developments.  That's how I found out about the GN1000 decoders.   8)

Robertj668

Bob

Thanks a lot.  I have been on vacation and have not checked the message boards for a few days.  Lots of great stuff!

Robert

n2trainz

Quote from: Yampa Bob on June 12, 2009, 11:52:50 PM

6.   Only three (3) whistles are available, selection depends on locomotive class. (AM versions have six (6)).

This is some good information, Bob.  Thanks for taking time to do this research.  About the only "mystery" remaining would be what whistles are used in which locomotives.  In the retail Tsunamis (After Market to you  ;D  ), the card packaged with the decoder lists the whistles and attendant bit numbers for the CV.  In the DecoderPro steam decoder definition file, when you select the decoder you are programming, the drop down list presented to you lists the correct whistles furnished with that decoder.  I would like this feature to be available in the Bachmann definition also, rather than whistle #1, whistle #2, etc.

When I counted recently, there were 15 distinct model steam locomotives that Bachmann was offering with Tsunamis.....that's a lot of potential whistle selections!

Oh, well....no one said this project was going to be easy.

Again, thanks for your help, Bob.

Regards,
Jack

Yampa Bob

You're welcome Jack.
While Bachmann may have 15 sound models, remember there are only 3 types of steam decoders; light, medium and heavy. That should narrow things down considerably. Of course the question remains, what are the 3 whistles in each type? You will then have only 9 variables, and some may be duplicated.

I suggest you call Soundtraxx, the number is on their site. For privacy reasons I prefer not to post the number here. They don't have a toll free number, but you probably have unlimited cell phone service. Ask for George, he usually answers the phone anyway.

Since they do all the programming, I'm sure George will know the whistles for each class, and the associated CV and value for each whistle.

I mentioned to George that I would post the information on the forum, I think he appreciates that as opposed to a zillion people calling him for information. If you find out anything, please post it here for all of us.  8)

SteamGene

One of the problems with the Tsunami steam is that a lot of the sound comes from Colorado narrow gauge.  While this is nice, it sure doesn't help people who model mainline steam. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

n2trainz

Yea, Bob....I think you're right.  Calling SoundTraxx will probably be the only way to get all the whistle information.

Even though many different sounds are programmed into the decoders, including different chuffs, bells, etc. for the Light, Medium and Heavy, only the whistles offer the user a choice.  Therefore, my goal is to show those choices as to what they actually are, and that (I am assuming) will vary according to the model represented (at least this is the case with the "retail" [after market] Tsunamis).

It may take me awhile to get this done, but I will post whatever info I come up with.  Of course, everyone reading this will be able to take advantage of what we learn here by simply downloading and using the DecoderPro program.  There already is a Bachmann steam definition, but there are some inaccuracies in it, and the whole point of this exercise is to fix, upgrade and enhance that definition to what it should be.

Oh, and Gene... go over to the SoundTraxx website.  While the Colorado narrow gauge is well covered, you might be surprised at how well the rest of the steam world is represented now.  The most obvious thing that distinguishes steam sounds is of course, the whistle.  While there are maybe 10 D&RGW and C&S whistles, there are about 36 total whistles ranging from a peanut whistle to the N&W 1218 hooter.  And the "heavy" steam bark is hardly anything narrow gauge!  ;D

Regards,
Jack

SteamGene

Jack,
There is no question that there are whistles and bells other than Colorado narrow gauge.  But, if they control 10 of 36, that means Colorado narrow gauge controls between 1/4 and 1/3 of your available choices.  (10/36=5/18; 6/18= 1/3; 4/18 ~ 1/4)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

I like simple math...10/36 = ~28%. Being a Coloradoan, sounds fair to me.  :D

Don't (or didn't) they have narrow gauge in "the rest of the world"? I found a lot of websites about Eastern narrow gauge, grabbed this one at random.

http://www.mngrr.org/

Of course, being fairly new to railroading, I was not aware that "Colorado" narrow gauge whistles were different from any other narrow gauge railroad.  ???

renniks

Quote from: Robertj668 on June 14, 2009, 01:14:00 AM
Bob
Did he mention anything about Bachmann Diesels coming with sound in the future?
Robert

From their advert in the July issue of Railway Modeller, Bachmann Europe(UK) are introducing UK Diesel classes 24 & 25  with DCC Sound. Another example of different "branches" doing their own thing.

Eric UK

Robertj668