News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

oil ?

Started by union pacific 844, March 10, 2013, 12:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

is motor oil is safe on plastic models  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

damonlee22

Petroleum-based oils lack both the lubrication performance and oxidation stability of synthetics. Real oil is made up of a mixture of long and short chains of carbon and hydrogen atoms, and under certain conditions the short-chain molecules evaporate, and the unstable molecules oxidize and break down. This leaves a sticky residue which can actually "gum up" the device it was intending to lubricate. Conventional oils also contain varying amounts of impurities, specifically sulfur, waxes, and unstable hydrocarbons which are left behind as residue deposits that might damage plastic parts.

Doneldon

Quote from: union pacific 844 on March 10, 2013, 12:22:46 AM
is motor oil is safe on plastic models  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

844-

In a word ... NO!

-- D

jbrock27

Matt,

Get some oil meant for HO use like Labelle or others that work for HO lubrication.  I use oil on metal parts and I use fishing reel grease that can be found at KMART or Walmart or other places that is inexpensive for plastic gears.  Just double check the grease is NOT petroluem based and has PTFE (teflon) which is plastic safe.  I like to conserve the oil for metal parts and use the grease on plastic gears.  I find the grease does not run out all over when used on the gears like oil can.  That is even using as small amount as possible bc it does not take much. 
Keep Calm and Carry On