News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27 DCC wiring

Started by chrisbowie, June 15, 2009, 06:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisbowie

I'm having some issues with the DCC wiring in the K-27 large scale and wondered if anyone can help.

I've tried soldering to the dummy board and to the solder pads and I get the same results, so I'm wondering if the wiring inside the K-27 is slightly weird???

Firstly I'm using a Massoth large scale (XXL) decoder which I use successfully in two other Aristocraft locos.  One of the features of this decoder is that it has seperate light outputs for front, rear and cab, so I have wired the marker, cab and firebox lights to the cab light -ve output.  Secondly the switches in the boiler are all set to DCC.

The decoder gets power fine and the motors work perfectly forwards and reverse.

My trouble seems to be regarding the lights and the smoke.

I had to connect the decoder ground connection to get the smoke to work - as soon as the ground wire is connected however the loud fan fires up - is this normal?

Secondly, the only light that seems to be impacted by the direction of the loco and whether or not the lights are switched on by the DCC controller is the rear tender light.  The front loco light, the marker lights, the firexbox flicker light and the cab light seem to be on permanently, even when the light circuit is not switched on by my dcc controller - other locos using the cab light -ve output only light when I switch the lighting circuit on.  Do other owners have the same issue?  Furthermore, when I switch the lighting circuit on the lights gain slightly in brightness, but the smoke unit then starts up!  With the lights switched off the smoke works as it should off of one of my function outputs.  With the lighting circuit on the function output for the smoke is irrelevant!

Has anyone else had similar experiences?  Is there anything I can do to remedy this short of rewiring all the lights/smoke unit etc.

I have done quite a few HO and G scale DCC conversions now all successfully and I have checked and double checked all the supplied documentation, my wiring and my soldering and I'm confident I've done everything correctly.

Any ideas?  Help much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Chris Bowie
Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.