News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N gauge brass track

Started by michael noel, April 01, 2007, 01:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael noel

question..does anyone know if Atlas brass track is compatible with the standard code 80 track? .... ??? Why brass track?...is there an advantage?

thanks....looking to possibly buy some on ebay....need help quick...!!!..LOL..

Franz T

I don't think that anyone still makes brass track Atlas certainly makes none in N-scale. They used to make it years ago in HorriblyOversized scale, perhaps they still do?  The stuff they made was code 100, IIRC, I have been out of HO for over 25 years.  So it would NOT be compatible. Not that anyone would want to try it..
Advantages to brass track: you get to spend lots and lots and lots of time cleaning it. It oxidizes very quickly. If you are the kind of person who gets off on running your trains 20% of the time and cleaning your track the other 80%, brass is definitely the way to go. You can also melt brass track down and use it to cast sculptures after you get tired of putting up with it. ;D Other than that, there are no advantages to using it.

HTH

Franz T

r0bert

Quote from: Franz T on April 01, 2007, 02:00:18 PM
Advantages to brass track: you get to spend lots and lots and lots of time cleaning it. It oxidizes very quickly. If you are the kind of person who gets off on running your trains 20% of the time and cleaning your track the other 80%, brass is definitely the way to go. You can also melt brass track down and use it to cast sculptures after you get tired of putting up with it. ;D Other than that, there are no advantages to using it.

HTH

Franz T
That's just not true.
My HO layout is 100% brass, and my N layout is nickle. The brass track has required NO more maint. or cleaning than the nickle track, in fact my brass layout needs only to be manually cleaned only about once a year, with slider cars taking care of all cleaning the rest of the year.
The nickle layout needs to be completly manually cleaned about three times a year plus the use of the slider cars and spot cleaning about once a month as dead spots develop, especially on the turnouts.
the only advantage of the nickle is that the oxidation on it is more conductive than the oxidation on brass, but there is more of it, so it better be more conductive.

michael noel

hey guys thanks for the opinions....now i'm even more confused....LOL...but i appreciate the input.....
Anyone else have an opinion??? stiil got 2 1/2 hous left...
ty Michael...

James in FL

Forums contain a wealth of mis-information.

Take time to do a little research rather than basing a purchase on someone else’s opinion which may, or may not, be based on fact.
There are many things to consider.

Do your homework.
There are many sources of comparison between nickel silver and brass.

Each possess its own merits.

Here’s but one place to start â€"

http://www.technicalmaterials.com/metal_prop/brass.html
http://www.technicalmaterials.com/metal_prop/nickel_silvers.html

As to your original question, ANY manufacturers N Gauge track CAN BE MADE compatible to ANY OTHER manufacturers N Gauge track, regardless of code, or metallurgical composition. (I.e. Can be used together).

Some track or track types (molded roadbed) may require minor modification.