News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Resetting decoder

Started by GN.2-6-8-0, April 01, 2007, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

how do i reset the decoder on the spectrum dcc/sound locomotive. can i just put it on the programingtrack and set it to 03....or is there a different step for this procedure.
Rocky Lives

CAB_IV

there is usually a reset CV, and it differs brand from brand.  who's decoder do you have installed?

rikc9

I have the Spectrum Richmond 4-4-0 with DCC and I looked at all the paper work that came with the engine and there is no info conerning this.
Besides I replaced the decoder with a SoundTraxx DCC/sound decoder and the paper work with this decoder tells me what CV to use. I did that twice so I know it works.
I have the NCE Power Cab and there is a section on Recovery Programming for a decoder, though I have yet to try that method.  Read through your documentation for the controller and see if there is anything like that.

rikc9

GN.2-6-8-0

I know the decoder is a soundtrax tsunumie but the Bachmann instructions that came with the loco show only a breakdown diagram of the engine itself no mention or instructionspertaining to the decoder.....must be a big ass secret ;D
Rocky Lives

rikc9

Reset a decoder.http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/dec_rescue.htm
I found the above in a simple search first time.
Go to Tony's Trains and look arounf at SoundTraxx products.
http://www.tonystrains.com/products/soundtraxx.htm
Also, SoundTraxx site.
http://www.soundtraxx.com/
Also there is a Yahoo SoundTraxx forum that has Files and Photos section also. I belobg to this group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soundtraxx/
Last resort, do a Google or Yahoo search for Tsunami decoder manual as a start.
Build a bookmark or favorites selection of DCC sites. You are very limited if this is your only site for DCC.

rikc9

Hunt

Bachmann factory installed decoder... Program CV8 to 8 to reset the CVs to their factory default values.

rikc9

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on April 01, 2007, 07:59:27 PM
I know the decoder is a soundtrax tsunumie but the Bachmann instructions that came with the loco show only a breakdown diagram of the engine itself no mention or instructionspertaining to the decoder.....must be a big ass secret ;D

Where did you buy your Spectrum with the Tsunami decoder? Which engine do you have?

rikc9

CAB_IV

I'm curious if they will get sound for those HHP8s and E33s.  there seriously needs to be sound for more electric locomotives.  the generic GG1 sound will never sound right in anything but a GG1.  Some european sounds from loksond match the sounds of that like the AEM7/ALP44, but you can't get sound in that, not without extensive modification.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
This is from Tom Piccirillo at Micro-Mark:
"The quickest and easiest way to restore operation is to reset the decoder to its factory settings by setting the value of CV30 to 2. You may need a programming track booster to program sound decoders properly. See the detailed instructions written on the CD that accompanied your sound-equipped locomotive."
Have fun!
the Bach-man

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: rikc9 on April 02, 2007, 11:00:43 AM

Where did you buy your Spectrum with the Tsunami decoder? Which engine do you have?

rikc9
rikc9
My locomotive is the Russian Decapod ,bought it from Micro-mark.
They also have a DCC/ Tsunami sound equipted light 2-10-2 in several roadnames.
Rocky Lives

GN.2-6-8-0

Or maybe I'm just a moron!......clean forgot they gave me a CD with oodles of information on it...... ::)
Rocky Lives

Hunt

Quote from: the Bach-man on April 03, 2007, 10:57:20 PM
Dear All,
This is from Tom Piccirillo at Micro-Mark:
"The quickest and easiest way to restore operation is to reset the decoder to its factory settings by setting the value of CV30 to 2. You may need a programming track booster to program sound decoders properly. See the detailed instructions written on the CD that accompanied your sound-equipped locomotive."
Have fun!
the Bach-man
Bach-man,
One can program CV30 to 2 or CV8 to 8 to reset the Bachmann’s sound decoder’s CVs to their factory (a.k.a. default) values.

BUT programming CV 30 to 8 will not reset the Bachmann non-sound decoders.

However Bach-man ---  ALL the Bachmann decoders,  factory installed and sold separately, CVs can be reset by programming CV8 to 8.

Note to all,
While CV reset by programming CV8 to 8 currently works for available Bachmann decoders --- Not every manufacturer uses CV8 to 8 to reset their decoder’s CVs. You have to read the reset instructions for the decoder you have.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

There is this constant reference to the Bachmann engines equipped with Tsunami Sound Decoders.   For what it is worth,  and if it really makes a difference,  read the box your engine came in.  Does it say "Tsunami technology"?    There is a difference.   I can tell you for a fact the K4 supposedly has the Tsunami light steam decoder,  but it does not have all the whistle selections that the actual Tsunami decoder has.   I guess what I am asking here is this,   what other differences might there be?   Does the decoder in the Bachmann engines have all the operating values that the true Tsunami have,  etc.    Also let me clear,  my son has one of the K4s and except for its light weight the engine runs quite nicely and sounds great.
       Buying a Bachmann engine with Tsunami technology is still a GREAT buy,  but after having 6 engines with full blown Tsunamis,  I think it important that one knows the difference.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Hunt

Quote from: ebtbob on April 05, 2007, 02:34:46 AM
...   I guess what I am asking here is this,   what ...  differences might there be?   [the decoder in the Bachmann engines and the true Tsunami]  ... I think it important that one knows the difference.

Bob
Bob,
I don't believe Bachmann knows. It does not fit their business model, as I understand it, to have a need to know such information. The folks at SoundTraxx appropriately are not providing the information.

You will have to do it yourself or depend on someone to take the time to do the comparison feature to feature and CV to CV. Should I ever develop a need to know (not likely anytime soon) then I will let you know what I find out.
;)

rikc9

Quote from: ebtbob on April 05, 2007, 02:34:46 AM
Good Morning All,

There is this constant reference to the Bachmann engines equipped with Tsunami Sound Decoders.   For what it is worth,  and if it really makes a difference,  read the box your engine came in.  Does it say "Tsunami technology"?    There is a difference.   I can tell you for a fact the K4 supposedly has the Tsunami light steam decoder,  but it does not have all the whistle selections that the actual Tsunami decoder has.   I guess what I am asking here is this,   what other differences might there be?   Does the decoder in the Bachmann engines have all the operating values that the true Tsunami have,  etc.    Also let me clear,  my son has one of the K4s and except for its light weight the engine runs quite nicely and sounds great.
       Buying a Bachmann engine with Tsunami technology is still a GREAT buy,  but after having 6 engines with full blown Tsunamis,  I think it important that one knows the difference.

Bob

Hi Bob

Tony's Trains sells HO Bachmann engines with the Tsunami. You might ask them.
http://www.tonystrains.com/locomotive/bachmann.htm

rick9