News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MTH Daylight

Started by Rickenbacker 325, June 18, 2009, 04:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickenbacker 325

I decided to by the MTH HO Daylight. I was wondering a few things.
1. On the dynamis, what button do you push to turn off the smoke.
2. How many Walthers SP coaches can I pull
3. Is it possible to make the sound louder or quieter?

Rickenbacker 325

rustyrails

Not ignoring you, James.  I just don't know.  You might try looking at the MTH web site here:

http://www.mthhotrains.com/models.asp

They have a nice video of the engine,

Rusty

Guilford Guy

Quote from: James The Brave on June 18, 2009, 04:02:52 AM
I decided to by the MTH HO Daylight. I was wondering a few things.
1. On the dynamis, what button do you push to turn off the smoke.
2. How many Walthers SP coaches can I pull
3. Is it possible to make the sound louder or quieter?
1. Should be in the manual that comes with the loco.
2. Beats me, but probably a good amount. Find a review of it that includes the drawbar pull.
3. Yes, that should also be in the manual. You'll have to change some CVs.
Alex

Rickenbacker 325

thank you this should help alot ;D ;D

Santa Fe buff

How much money do you have anyway? That locomotive is EXPENSIVE! :o

Good luck with it, tell me how she handles. ;)

Joshua

- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Most HO locomotives weighing 15 ounces or more should have about 4 ounces of drawbar force. This equates to 40 easy rolling cars before stall. I usually figure half of this for an average train, 15 to 20 cars, for realistic speeds on a flat track.

General consensus is that cars should not require more than .1 ounce of pulling force. I make my own force gauges, but here is a handy one at a reasonable price. The 250 gram gauge is adequate for HO.

http://www.delta-education.com/productdetail.aspx?Collection=Y&prodID=1973&menuID=

Tuning your cars by reaming the jounals and using metal wheelsets makes a big difference on how many you can pull. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Rickenbacker 325

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on June 27, 2009, 05:55:32 PM
How much money do you have anyway? That locomotive is EXPENSIVE! :o

Good luck with it, tell me how she handles. ;)

Joshua

I had over 600 dollars, spent it on a 500 dollar train.
It runs great. It can pull a good amount of freight cars.

Plus I just got back from my hobby store and just announced is the Dryfuss Hudson and empire state with matching coaches by MTH HO ;D

Santa Fe buff

Dang, your killing me! :D

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

OkieRick

Quote from: Yampa Bob on June 28, 2009, 02:56:52 AM
Most HO locomotives weighing 15 ounces or more should have about 4 ounces of drawbar force. This equates to 40 easy rolling cars before stall. I usually figure half of this for an average train, 15 to 20 cars, for realistic speeds on a flat track.

General consensus is that cars should not require more than .1 ounce of pulling force. I make my own force gauges, but here is a handy one at a reasonable price. The 250 gram gauge is adequate for HO.

http://www.delta-education.com/productdetail.aspx?Collection=Y&prodID=1973&menuID=

Tuning your cars by reaming the jounals and using metal wheelsets makes a big difference on how many you can pull. 

Bob,

I've read and re-read your posts about this topic.  I've searched but can't locate any of those old messages.

If you have the "how to" make a force gauge or meter message bookmarked would you share it one more time? 

On a side note, you know my physical limitations.  Assistance is not always available.  Would I be better served to spend the $10 on the one ready to use and available or try to have one made for me?

Thanks-
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

Rick,
I posted a thread on making force gauges, but I took it down some time ago. Seems some modelers aren't motivated to really fine tune their locomotives and cars.

I mainly did it to dispel all the rumors that Bachmann locos aren't good pullers. You know my feelings about those who make claims that aren't backed up with testing and facts. (Think "Oscar Mayer")

If you consider the time and effort to make one, I suggest just buying the ready made. They are not a "laboratory standard" by any means, but usually accurate within 1/8 ounce, close enough for train testing. A variance of 1/8 ounce only amounts to 1 car more or less, no big deal.

I test both pull and push force of locos, for cars I hook 10 together and expect a total required pulling force of 1 ounce or less.  Properly tuned cars exhibit little to no increased pulling resistance going around my 18" curves. It's all about tuning so as not to disturb the natural kinematics of railcars. Again, it's a physical science in which many modelers have no interest.

Anyway, I'll send you my tutorials, pictures and test results to give you some ideas. I assume your system can read Wordpad .rtf files?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.