News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A Farewell...

Started by Santa Fe buff, June 18, 2009, 04:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

Right now, I'm on Ryan's computer. I'm not going to see you guys unless I can use someone else's computer... My own whining computer kicked the bucket... Hard. So I have no computer, no Internet, and no more access to Bachmann of my own.

I'll check in when I get the chance, and the School year will help, since I stop by the local library after school. Thank God they have Internet computers.

:(

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Hey Josh, that is sad news. I'm gonna miss you buddy. You could always move in with Ryan.  :D

Just a suggestion, if you are looking for another computer, check out this site.

http://www.laptopoutlet.com/

I bought a brand new Dell Pentium III with Windows 98 installed for less than $300. Great service and warranty, first one I got had a tiny black spot on the screen, they sent me another new one.

I have seen refurbished ones with 30 day warranty, less than $200.

Anyway, don't be a stranger, keep your membership intact, and post as often as you can. No farewells, just see ya around...OK?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

CNE Runner

Hi Josh, I echo Yampa Bob's statement: no goodbyes; only a little more time between posts. We don't want to lose a good forum member like yourself so stay in touch...please?

PS: I am writing this from a campground in Kansas...we have yet to see either Dorothy or Toto (maybe they are spending the summer in Oz?). One good thing is that the campground is near an active rail line so I get to listen to horns and rumbling wheels before my wife strangles me.

Take care,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

This is a real bummer. A young gentleman like Josh needs a computer for homework, the forum and just for fun stuff.

Here's a challenge...I'm sure someone out there in forum land, maybe even around Bourbonnais,  has an extra or old laptop they would be willing to donate to Josh. Hey, we're supposed to "spread the wealth", right?

Anyone needing a computer check out this page. I'll never pay retail for a factory direct computer again.

http://www.laptopoutlet.com/delllaptops.html

pdlethbridge

I said the heck with high prices too, so I built my own. I use Ubuntu for the operating system because I refuse to pay for Windoz. Ubuntu is free and always will be. It's been on my computer as the only operating system for 3+ years and I couldn't be happier. It does everything I need and my old Windoz programs run on it using wine. Its very easy to use and it has been getting great reviews for years. They upgrade every 6 months and do patches when needed. I don't worry about viruses either, they only seen to written for windows not Linux based systems. Save some more money, don't pay for the OS.

jettrainfan

Bloody bugger! :'( I would say you could use mine but i don't think you could. :( This will be a bit quiet with you gone. I loved your post and some jokes. :) Well, understandable, at least it is not for good. :) Well come back soon!!! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Yampa Bob

Everyone has their favorite OS, but please let's not get into a debate about that. The topic is Josh, and he should have the system he is comfortable with.  8)

Jim Banner

Joshua, a busted computer is a real bummer.  I am hoping that if you ask around, you may find someone who has a computer or at least a hard drive they are not using, and hopefully someone to help you install it.  I don't know if they have Freecycle in your area but that might be another source you could look into.  If you look for a hard drive, look for one close in size to the one that quit.  Most computers have limits to how large a hard drive they can handle.  Above that size, installation becomes complicated.  Below that limit, it is often as easy as unplugging one and plugging in another.  If you are lucky, you may be able to get most or all of your data back off your bad hard drive.  This can happen when the failure to boot is a bad track containing part of the operating system.

Anyhow, best of luck to you.  I too have high hopes of seeing you back on Bach-Man's Board.  You have earned your bones in model railroading and your postings help keep some of us old guys in touch with the 21st Century.  We will be watching for your posts as you get the chance to write them.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

My thought about the alternative OS was a cost saving measure to help Josh with his computer woos. Nothing else.If it saves him a $100 or more to get back on line and be a good member of this board, then so be it. Anything to help. I'll even send him the software.

Woody Elmore

Here in the NYC area there are websites that can only be accessed through Windws. For example the NY State Department of Labor can only be accessed through Windows and here on Long Island school districts advertise positions electronically. If you don't have Windows you can't access the site to apply for a job.

As for Josh I understand his problem. In NYC one of the biggest challenges is to get computers into the hands of students. Unfortunately, some NYC schools are so crowded that they are removing computers to make more classroom space. The other problem is keeping computer rooms up to date. It is a daunting task when you here that there are 1400 schools!

Santa Fe buff

Wow, thanks... I didn't expect this. You guys need to calm down before you wake the dogs... :o

Here's the problem, I posted it on another forum, and it's fairly a nightmare.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?p=461127#post461127

Better yet:

Quote from: Uhhh, the person called 'SantaFebuff'... whoever that is... :PHere's the story:

-Something that was downloaded (I blame me and my Trainz addiction. ) had a corrupt dataflow that bombed the computer.

-On top of that (and this is what we are only partly done on...) our computer is overpowered. Somehow, our computer is getting too much power, thus explaining the over-reving fan sound that appeared awhile ago and has kept us worried every since.

-Then, the dust build-up was incredible, we fixed that first, but all together, they took down the computer.

Everything is going work out... but I lost everything, those looking at the link will find out that we had to reset the system causing everyones files and user information to be erased back to default, or how it was when we first got the computer.

I'm going to be fine, but I had no idea you guys were starting a little charity!? I think it's okay now, but I wasn't sure the extent of the damage until we got some 'smarter' family members in here. ;)

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

jettrainfan

Yay! That's great....in ways :( :). To be honest with you I go to my grandpa's to play train simulator.It is fantastic!!! He gots 10+ files because he got's so many routes! :o It means more veriety and countrys! ;D You should try the game! :) ;) :D ;D

Glad to have you back! ;)

youtube account

CNE Runner

Some time ago I happened upon a gaming website and it mentioned MS Train Simulator. Apparently MS is bringing out another [newer] version of MS Train Simulator. I haven't seen anything in the press about this though. An acquaintance (who is connected with MS) says he hasn't heard anything about a newer version of Train Simulator. Keep your fingers crossed anyway.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rustyrails

I wouldn't hold my breath.  MS has dumped Flight Simulator after some 25 years and nine iterations. 
Rusty

jettrainfan

Quote from: CNE Runner on June 21, 2009, 06:24:25 PM
Some time ago I happened upon a gaming website and it mentioned MS Train Simulator. Apparently MS is bringing out another [newer] version of MS Train Simulator. I haven't seen anything in the press about this though. An acquaintance (who is connected with MS) says he hasn't heard anything about a newer version of Train Simulator. Keep your fingers crossed anyway.

Ray

As long as they keep making upgrades and models for the trains and scenery to today's msts then,"I'm a happy guy!" ;D ;D ;D

youtube account