What terminal track wire gauge should I use with my transformer?

Started by dlopez, August 26, 2009, 08:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlopez

What terminal track wire gauge should I use with a 100 or 150 watt transformer for my Williams, Lionel and MTH trains?  I am using a 20 gauge solid core wire now with my Z-750 transformer, but I am guessing that if I increase the wattage with a new larger transformer I will need a heavier wire gauge.  Your thoughts please.  Thanks!

3rail

Hi

18 Gauge stranded or larger is a better choice.  On larger layouts I recommend 14 gauge.

Regards,

3Rail

DominicMazoch

The BORG from STAR TREK are right about one thing:  Resistance is futile.  the smaller the gauge number you use, the less resistance you have, and more power to the track!

OGReditor

I, too, would recommend 14 gauge stranded for the primary power hook-ups on a small- to modest-size layout.

Allan

phillyreading

I would recommend using 16 gauge wire from the transformer to the track on any transforer with more than 150 watts, or 14 gauge wire on anything over 300 watts per output channel. Don't forget about circuit protection, like circuit breakers if you have an older transformer, my preferance is breakers(10 to 20 amps) designed for up to 50 volts A.C.
Some guys have gone with 12 gauge wire but I feel that you are waisting money, unless you have a 450 foot run(resistance won't be a factor on a shorter run) with the wire, with a model train transformer that usually puts out up to 25 volts at 300 watts. Your transformer only uses up to for the new ZW at 360 watts at 120 volts, your input wires on the transformer are only 16 gauge wire at best.
The reason I used 12 gauge wire, coming off the transformers, is that I had it on hand(left over from an attic wiring job) and didn't have to buy other wire.

Lee F.