News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

FIRST WILLIAMS STEAM!!!

Started by Bill Mutch, June 18, 2009, 11:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Mutch

Got my first Williams steam engine! Its a 671 turbine with digital whistle. I love it! Runs like a champ and smokes like crazy! My wife likes it better than all the MTH I have and I think I do also.
Got a few questions? I have a lot of Williams diesels that are great but I'm not that happy with True Blast two. My layout is only 11 by 8 and the True Blast last about the whole trip around.
The digital whistle on the 671 is much shorter and I love the sound. Are the True Blast on all the steams like the digital whistle on the 671? I used Bachmann fluid and that worked great. That question was answered on another thread. I didn't get instructions so I guess lube is the same as any other manufacter?
If this is a good example of a Williams by Bachmann steam engine I'm sold. I'll be getting more! Also thank you Bachmann for the cataloge. I got it the other day!

Cobrabob8

Het Bill,
Congratulations on your purchase! I also just purchased my first Williams steamer a couple of weeks ago and I am very satisfied. It has a flawless paint job and runs like a champ. It is the Pennsy 027 Hudson and it looks great pulling my long string of Industrial Rail Pennsy hoppers or my MTH 027 Pennsy Madison passenger cars. Hey Williams By Bachmann, do you think that you could re-issue the Pennsy Berkshire again? I WOULD REALLY LIKE ONE!
Cobrabob. ;D
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

Bill Mutch

From the time of my first post I also bought a J class PRR. Another great engine!

Sunrise Special

You guys are really tempting me to pull the trigger on a WIlliams steam engine.  I was thinking about the scale hudson...however I'm not a fan of a tether.  I wish I could hear the whistle on the Williams...If the diesels were a single blast I would buy more engines...How do you guys like the whistle on the Williams steam engine?

Sunrise

Bill Mutch

I LOVE THE WHISTLE ! The sound is better than the diesel. My wife like it also and thats the first time she has ever commented on any engine I have. My daughter said it sounds like the engine is sad. I guess is does sound lonely. So buy more than one!

Cobrabob8

I like the steam whistle alot. It could be a little louder though, but it is still NICE. The deisel horn is also pretty cool. I am hoping to get a set of Pennsy sharks next and then maybe an NYC small Hudson. Nice product. I highly reccomend Williams to anyone not wanting to spend a fortune on their trains.
Cobrabob. :)

jsmvmd

Dear Guys,

Our local club runs a Christmas layout with the Williams Berk, a beautiful runner, and very pretty to boot !  Great value for the price !

Best Wishes,

Jack

Cobrabob8

My layout has 3 independant loops. Right now it is dominated by Williams locos. The 2 upper loops feature a Pennsy Hudson pulling Pennsy passenger cars and a pair of Pennsy FAs pulling a 14 car coal drag. The lower level loop has my pride and joy (I LOVE THESE) Santa Fe F3 ABAs pulling a mixed freight, ALL WILLIAMS POWER.
Cobrabob.
Keep On Trackin'  !!
:)  ;D  8)

phillyreading

I have a slightly older Williams steam engine # 671 Pennsy S-2 and it will pull about 26 small to medium sized hopper cars. It has the True Blast 2 horn that plays the crossing sequence(two long-one short-one long). I was able to purchase this engine from a friend of mine, who used to sell Williams, for only $200.00 new about three years ago.
The only thing that I have noticed is that the track gets dirty quick when using smoke fluid.

Lee F.