Bachmann ez command with older Minitrix and fleischman locs.

Started by abe, June 20, 2009, 07:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abe

Hi,
I am planning to buy a Bachmann EZ command system (because of price constrains) and a Digitrax DZ125 decoder. I have an older Minitrix 12860 N scale Swiss loc and also an Fleischmann N scale loc.
Since the Minitrix uses 12VDC and the Fleischmann uses 14 VDC (they are both analog locs) can I use them both with the EZ command?
Thanks for answering me.
Abe

rustyrails

As long as the motors are isolated, there shouldn't be a problem.  See Jim Banner's post in the E-Z Command and Digitrax decoders thread below this thread (at least for the moment).
Rusty

Jim Banner

Abe, the E-Z Command should have no problems, as Rusty has said.  But the decoders might.  Be sure to measure how much current your locomotives draw at 12 volts dc with the motor armature not turning.  You can stop the motor from turning by holding its flywheel or shaft from turning, but only do this for a few seconds.  This is called a stall current test or a locked rotor current test.

If the stall current exceeds 1.25 amps with 12 volts applied, you will have to search for a more robust decoder, one that will handle more current.

While you have your meter out, check for any sneak paths from the rails (wheels) to the motor.  "Sneak paths" are connections that are not obvious.  An example would be a motor brush connected to the motor frame which is connected to the locomotive chassis which is connected to the wheels on one side of the locomotive.  Such a sneak path could leave one motor brush connected to one of the rails and would likely destroy your decoder.  With DCC, the only way that electricity is allowed to get from wheels to motor is through the decoder.  This is a bit of an explanation of why the motors must be isolated.

The third concern is that some European locomotives have capacitors connected across their motors in order to cut down on radio interference.  These look about like the head of a paper match with wires attached.  They come in a variety of colours - blue, yellow and brown are common - and may be round or square.  For proper operation of most decoders, these have to be removed, either by unsoldering or by cutting one or both leads.

Good luck with your installations.  Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

OkieRick

PDF documents of your Minitrix 12860 in German are here http://www.vdweerdt.nl/manuals/minitrix/12860.html

It does include sn exploded drawing.

TCS has a new line of Z scale decoders - DCC only, no sound

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Products/Decoders/Z-Scale/Z%20Series.html

and they're on sale here

http://dcchobbysupply.com/zcart/ for $26.99. 

You might be best served by calling the mfgr of the decoder you buy, Soundtraxx is eager to speak with customers and I didn't have a problem reaching tech at TCS the time I tried.

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Jim Banner

Those new TCS Z-2 decoders look good.  A bit narrower than the Digitrax DZ125 and a higher peak current rating, all for only a few dollars more than the DZ125.  Depending on what your measurements show, you may want to consider these as well.

I mentioned using a meter to measure current and voltage in my posting above.  Yampa Bob lists a source where digital multimeters suitable for this job are currently on sale for unbelievably low prices.  See his thread at:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,9599.0.html

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

abe

Hi,
Thank you guys. You gave me a wealth of info. I am planning to buy tomorrow the Z2 decoder from TCS.
I had one more question. I read somewhere that I need some resistor in series with the present light bulbs of the loc when I change to DCC. I cannot find anymore where I read this.
Is this true? and what value of resistor do I need?
Thanks,
Abe