News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Interesting Project.

Started by Santa Fe buff, June 25, 2009, 12:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilford Guy

That means its a GP40-2... I think you mean the fireman's (left) side of the locomotive.
Alex

Santa Fe buff

No, it's on the engineer's side.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

How many non dynamic fans are there on the rear of the unit?
Alex

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

Okay, so we've determined it is a GP40-2, not a GP38-2. You should be fine with a GP40-2. Only REALLY picky people will notice, and they might not because it will probably be moving.
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Should I fill in the sight hole?

Joshua

EDIT: I was thinink of sandind down the sight hole edging and filling it in with puddy, then sanding down that.
- Joshua Bauer

jward

i would think it would be easier to buy a gp40, and spend your energy on detailing one of those. or, alternately trying to model one of bn's gp40-2s.

if you do wish to fill in the hole, then yes, body putty and some careful sanding is the way to go.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=191571&nseq=0

note that the headlight is in between the number boards, but it has a lower gyralite mounted in a notch in the nose......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

jward

yes, that would work. i've used that in the past to fill in holes when i removed roofwalks offf cars.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Santa Fe buff

Great, the local Hobby Lobby has a whole tub of those putty tubes, no shipping or online ordering!

I was looking for more of a physical comparison, but I couldn't find one. So I continued to clean out my room. I was skimming through locomotives, habit makes me say the locomotives model when I pick it up and set it down to keep track... I said GP40, and stopped. I forgot I have my Bachmann GP40! So I compared them, and yes, I do have to fill in the sight glass. Also, there are two grab iron templets on  the -2's nose, but none molded on the GP40's. A looked over my prototype photo I posted and it shows that there are no nose-mounted grabs, so I have some more sanding to do.

Still waiting for parts to come in, explains the $3.98 shipping!  :D

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

jward

best of luck on that one.

my current project is an n&w t6 switcher, i have photos i took of a restored one on the western maryland scenic.

after that i think i'll do a couple of new haven locomotives.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Santa Fe buff

Yeah, PARTS CAME IN! Also, M.T.H. Trains sent me a catalogue for no reason, it kills me, everything is over $100 and I only have $5... :'( The J class really kills me, which is why I'm glad Bachmann makes an affordable one! :) (See, I had a plan on incorporating Bachmann in this post.)

Anyway, I need to find a No. 70 drill, and I already know where to find a BLMA No. 80 drill. Everything seems straight forward, and I'm wondering if anyone can find me a 1.5 micro bulb. I want to drill  out my strobe and light it up, the directions told me about that, and it interests me. My dad is willing to buy me something for good grades on the final report card. So a simple part is good. My stupid head order two locomotive air brake things thinking it was one per quantity. Guess what, I now have 4 locomotive air brake hoses... Looks like someones getting more detail. :P Also, Cannon & Company sent me a batch of 12 sunshades! :o

The MU cables are designed to be mounted in a group, having a realistically detailed panel holding all 3 cables, but my body is designed to allow 3 separate cables. So I'm just going to sand that down and drill for the nob that comes out the back of the panel and glue it in place, after painting of course.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

mf5117

nice loco yampa bob ,  i love my sd-40-2 bn loco . i can also pull my sante fa stuff with it and not feel bad .

Santa Fe buff

Huh? Wrong topic?

Anyway, thanks pdlethbridge.

I'll look into thoses. I'm currently look at the Highball Graphics website for some extra parts. I was thinking on a Cannon step-up light. I also found treads and step-ups for an Atheran GP40-2. I'm already thinking on using the Grain-o-Rice bulb. I checked, it's a batch of 8 sunshades actually.

Anyone know where I can get a decoder for this GP40-2, perfeably with sound capadiblity or can be wiried to it.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer