Can I cut this here? (I am trying to add sound to one of my engines & Need room)

Started by Robertj668, June 27, 2009, 05:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

Hi
I am trying to add a sound to my Bachmann EMD FT A-Unit diesel Engine and I am trying to make room for the speaker.  I see that maybe I could cut the circuit board at the red mark that I made.  I have very little experience with circuit boards so I am asking advice.
Robert

Stephen D. Richards

Without looking at the other side of the board, I would suggest you not cut there.  If I remember correctly, the screw that holds the board in place also completes a circut.  Those two solder points are for a light.  You might cut in front of the screw location and add a small rectangle speaker.  Hope that helps.   Stephen

Robertj668

Stephen

I added another picture I see what you mean.  Let me know what you think.
I think that if I do cut on the line I would not be able to ad easily a rear light.  But on this engine it is no important

Robert

Stephen D. Richards

I think, looking at your picture, that you just might get away with it but maybe should cut just a bit ahead of the hole that is more towards the center of the board.  That would give you a complete circut if you needed it and sturdy up the board as well.  Should only take about an eigth of an inch less board off and probably not make a difference for your speaker.  Not sure which one you would be using though.  If you needed the rear light circuit after the cut then you could still drill two small holes in the board above the circut strips and use them that way.  Doesn't look like it will hurt the board with your suggested cut.  Stephen

Santa Fe buff

Oh, I'm interested in this topic. I own one of these. I've always thought the cab would work for a micro speaker. :)

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Robertj668

Stephen
Thanks I am going for it!

Joshua
I am putting in the MRC 1666 Sound Decoder.  I know its not exact but I wanted to do it for my 5 yr old son.  It is going the the rear of the engine this time I hope it works. If it does not sound good I will get a smaller speaker and try again.

Thanks

Robert

hotrainlover

Please let us know if it works.  Could you show a picture of the speaker in place, also?

pdlethbridge

I would be careful cutting the board. Some circuit boards can shatter if you try to cut them with nippers or pliers. Use your dremel carefully with a cut off disc.

Yampa Bob

Robert,
Just received the pictures, thanks. Looks good so far, you might want to post the picture with the speaker in place.

The FTA looks like a good candidate for any sound system, including Tsunami. I may try an install myself.  8)

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Robertj668

pdlethbridge
I cut he board with an exact Knife.  It took a long time.  I am going today to look at dremmel kits.  I am curious which one you have.

I need to trim the frame a bit to make the speaker fit.  I could of used a smaller one but I like this one a lot.

http://photobucket.com/robertj668

Santa Fe buff

I don't even have one, my No. 2 blade broke. I use my pocket knife.

I, to, am looking into a dremel.

Looks great.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Robertj668

Well its done!

The good news: It went well.  I have pictures.

The bad news:  The train bogs down at low speed.  If I start it slow it will move along and then almost stop.  Then move.  I tried the motor alone it runs fine.  I checked the gears and found a small piece of metal in it.  I then greased the gears and it ran a little better but still bogs down.  I have another FT that I am going to switch the gears and take it from there.

I am posting pics of the finished product in its current status

http://photobucket.com/robertj668

pdlethbridge

My thoughts are that if you didn't remove the trucks when you ground the frame, you got a lot of metal in the trucks. Try removing and disassembling the truck. You probably missed a piece

Robertj668

pdlethbridge

You are correct.  I did not.  (Lesson learned) I am working nights this week so l stayed up late last night taking both trucks apart, inspecting, cleaning, and then re assembling them.
still at slow speeds its grabbing. I read somewhere that there could be a crack that i may have missed with out magnification.  So I took truck from another engine and it did the same thing.  I think I bent something.

The engine runs okay at low speed without any drive shaft connected to it.  I have an several extra FT's so I am swapping parts to find the problem. 

It does run okay at higher speed though.

I appreciate the help.

Robert

pdlethbridge

look for metal in the universal joints and motor. All parts should be checked. That metal could go any where and every where.