News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Started by Railbender, June 28, 2009, 03:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railbender

Hi,
I have just joined and would like to ask a question.
How to take apart the  HO 2662,  as I have a problem with the second gear box.

Railbender.

Yampa Bob

RB,
Please indicate manufacturer and stock number.

Thanks
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Railbender

Sorry about leaving that out, its Bachmann # 1521 cat number 84803.

Railbender.

Yampa Bob

The best I can do is refer you to the exploded parts diagram that came with the locomotive.

Other members with knowledge of how to remove the shell might comment. With the shell off you might be able to detect the problem, might just need lubricating. 

Unless you have experience in working on this type of loco, if you can't fix the problem with a complete lubrication, suggest you contact Bachmann service department about returning it for repair or replacement.

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

I've taken the boiler off one of my 2-6-6-2s and it was fairly easy, though I've forgotten some of the process. remove the cab first.  There is a screw or two and then the cab needs to be spread from the bottom out of the rails which hold it in place.  IIRC, there is a screw hidden by the cab which holds the boiler and then one from the bottom. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Railbender

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I studied the diagram and worked out there is a screw under the whistle dome, undo this then unclip the cab but be carefull to unclip the hand rails first i didn't !
There are 4 screws on top of the weight covered with tape remove tape and take these screws out.
Next be very careful to ease the wires to create some slack and the weight will lift up. BE AWARE of the 4 wires that go down through  the chassis for the pickups they come off very easily I had to resolder mine back on.
To do this remove the plate below the wheel sets one at a time on each truck and solder with a very fine pointed bit or you risk melting the plastic plate.
The problem with my Loco was that the worm on the shaft for the rear truck was not attached to the shaft.
I removed the shaft cleaned it with some electrical contact cleaner, I then ran a fine file around the shaft to provide a key.
When dry I fixed the worm with some cyno (called super glue in the UK) the thin type is best I found.
Then reassemble and good luck.