News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Poll Results

Started by rustyrails, June 28, 2009, 08:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyrails

Okay, here are the results from the several polls we've all been busy answering the past few days. 
The first item we were asked about was layout size.  We are certainly a diverse bunch of model railroaders when it comes to the size of our layouts.  Results:

30 people responded
The single most common size was 4X8
Smallest: 2.5 sq.ft.
Largest: 500 sq. ft.
Average : 80 sq ft.
Median: 64 sq ft.

Then PD asked about control systems, scheme of operations, and prototype/era.  Here are those results:

16 people responded to the control system question.  Of those 14 said that they used DCC.  EZ Command and Zephyr were the systems mentioned most often.  The two others run analog DC and are pleased with the performance they get.

12 people answered the operations question.  7 said they used some sort of car forwarding system, and five said they just liked to "watch 'em run."

There is no winner in the prototype/era category.  Of the 19 folks who responded, 15 freelance.  The transition and modern eras pretty much came in tied.

There you have it.  Bottom line is whether we're  big or small, run with computer control or clock-work motors, it's all about enjoying our trains.
Rusty

jonathan

Thanks, Rusty for taking this on.  Like you said, not matter how we do it, we can all enjoy our trains... it's still the world's greatest hobby.

This inquiring mind is a little more informed.

Regards,

Jonathan

pdlethbridge

Good job Rusty. The whole key is to have fun. We all do it differently and no ones way is better than another. Model Railroading is fun!

Yampa Bob

Great job Rusty, thanks. I think your median of 64 sq. ft. is dead on. Seems many are building L shapes with two sheets of plywood, which would fit nicely in a 12' X 16' room.

As PD mentioned; there is no "right way", just the "fun way" for each modeler.

In my "Most beautiful locomotive" poll, I don't think there is a clear winner. Everyone has a different favorite, very few duplications. I might at some point do a tabulation of steam vs. diesel.  Bottom line, they are all beautiful.

Nice thing about this board, no matter what the topic, everyone loves to contribute. Running trains is fun, sharing makes it all the better.   
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Tylerf

I agree, it was nice idea to do a poll on peoples layouts. It is totally the worlds greatest hobby and I'm proud to be part of it. Plus I must also add that interaction with other modelers is like the icing on the cake, especially at a local club which is full of many fun loving guys and gals that make it awsome in every way. A local club is a nice thing to have, and a nice discussion group helps tide me down till the next meeting or show.