I attended my first train show / swap / sale.

Started by OkieRick, June 28, 2009, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

On the 27th I attended my first train show. Presented by MainLine there were to be 80+ show and sales areas.  There weren't 80, but enough.  Lotsa trash for sale as well as brand new 10 and 15 year old locos.  All scales and brands were presented.

A sizeable HO layout and my local-est vendor were the hits to me. On one side new old Tyco railstock was selling for $7.50.  Used out of production stock had roof high prices.  I purchased a 6pak of Athearn hoppers and two Atlas.  Also put in lay-a-way an RSD-15 and a PowerCab DCC control system.

Wooden cattle cars caught my eye but the bank was broke.

All in all there was too much to look with not enough lighting.  I'll enjoy the next one in Tulsa more.

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

Not enough lighting? Yeah, takes a lot of lighting to look in your dark wallet to see there is not enough money:D

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

boomertom

Rick,

Glad you enjoyed the train show. I agree it is easy to go overboard.

Our own show will be coming up in September. ( Tidewater Division, Mideast Region, NMRA). The Tidewater Modular Railroad Club is planning a large layout and usually there are Lionel, American Flyer, N-Trak, Gsacle. I usually work the "White Elephant Table"Too bad Virginia Beach is so far from Oklahoma.

I am curious, did you have any accessibility problems? As an amputee myself i can appreciate the problems these shows can present. Any way glad you enjoyed yourself.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Robertj668

Rick

Still it had to be lots of fun!

Glad you had a good time.

Robert

RAM

Rick I am glad that you got to go to the train show.  I thought I might see you there.  However I went early and did not stay long.  I wanted a table to sell some extra things, but they had already sold out all of the tables. 

pdlethbridge

Not only did he get his wallet emptied, but they stole his stick! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OkieRick

Fellers, the show was full of all sizes and eras of trains, scenery, figures, track, etc.  It was held in the Washington Co. fair building.  Lighting might have been just me & my tri-focals.  I need a tad more light than the average Indian.  The billfold was accidentally left at home, thank goodness I have an honest face and Victor had my Visa account on record.

You could look and handle most things - my problem was it was all boxed up. Yeah...more light was needed.  Glare off clear plastic windows in boxed items was enough for me.  No one wanted my Dynamis.  Imagine that.  My great nephews came out with an N scale loco and oval track and the 3yr old found a metal bull dozer that fit his hand great...for a buck!

Access was great.  Blue loading & parking in front. Tables were reasonably accessible - someone usually around to help.  The AC beat the outdoor heat.  Food smelled great.  Drawings for door prizes every hour failed to mention me.

RAM we need to get together - do some serious UFO watching out here. I have lots of whiskey.

The stick survived till another day...long enough to not forget PD would be awaiting with wit in gear.  I O U PD.

Rick

pdlethbridge

Daylight4449

I just moved to marrietta georgia and am ecstatic to know that there is one at the cobb county civics center i my town that comes from kennasaw (A town every train fan should know about).

OkieRick

Next time I go I'll take my headband with light and flip down magnification glasses with me.  I looked at some rust red gondolas priced totally out of sight (for me - $50 each) supposedly made from kits.  They were nice and decals were intricate but I could see no signs of assembly.  Maybe that's the idea of kits...to not look assembled.  I learned the majority of the vendors will haggle.  There was a lot of Proto 1000 and 2000 series locos in brown and blue boxes with new red box prices.  And...don't 'forget' your $$ or Visa.

Okie

CNE Runner

As a part-time train show vendor, I read your comments with interest. About the only thing a vendor can control is what is on his/her assigned table(s). If you are looking to enter a good show (one that has a record of attendance and sales) you have to reserve a table well in advance. Many vendors have an inordinate amount of stock - so leaving boxes open is impossible. I have seen one vendor who opens all his boxes and then wraps the whole box in heat-shink clear plastic...not a good idea as it bend the boxes and sometimes the kit parts.

Virtually all small vendors will make a deal with you. Please don't make a fool of yourself and offer a ridiculous price ($0.50 for a $5 item). Let me dispose of another myth: "Shop near the end of the show as the prices are better because the vendor doesn't want to carry the item back home." Sorry guys, but that is a fairytale - as most of us have no problem transporting items home...they will be offered for sale at the next show.

Bring CASH as most of us small vendors do not have the capability of accepting credit cards (and most will not accept checks...although we do). By cash I should mention bring an assortment of bills - not all 20s and 50s. As I mentioned in a like thread, the vendor should bring a reasonable amount of change...but he isn't the corner bank! More than once a customer had to leave without an item because all he had to pay for a $5 piece was a $100 bill...save the C-notes to impress your friends.

I am glad you enjoyed the show and keep in mind: you didn't pay sales tax and you didn't pay exorbitant shipping charges.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

boomertom

Quote from: CNE Runner on July 03, 2009, 09:54:05 AM
As a part-time train show vendor, I read your comments with interest. About the only thing a vendor can control is what is on his/her assigned table(s). If you are looking to enter a good show (one that has a record of attendance and sales) you have to reserve a table well in advance. Many vendors have an inordinate amount of stock - so leaving boxes open is impossible. I have seen one vendor who opens all his boxes and then wraps the whole box in heat-shink clear plastic...not a good idea as it bend the boxes and sometimes the kit parts.

Virtually all small vendors will make a deal with you. Please don't make a fool of yourself and offer a ridiculous price ($0.50 for a $5 item). Let me dispose of another myth: "Shop near the end of the show as the prices are better because the vendor doesn't want to carry the item back home." Sorry guys, but that is a fairytale - as most of us have no problem transporting items home...they will be offered for sale at the next show.

Bring CASH as most of us small vendors do not have the capability of accepting credit cards (and most will not accept checks...although we do). By cash I should mention bring an assortment of bills - not all 20s and 50s. As I mentioned in a like thread, the vendor should bring a reasonable amount of change...but he isn't the corner bank! More than once a customer had to leave without an item because all he had to pay for a $5 piece was a $100 bill...save the C-notes to impress your friends.

I am glad you enjoyed the show and keep in mind: you didn't pay sales tax and you didn't pay exorbitant shipping charges.

Ray

Ray,
I read your comments with great interest from the other side of a train show - the presenter. From comments we receive from our vendors, we must be somewhat unusual in that we have a great turn out of our members to help the vendors with the load ins and load outs.

This is to our benefit as we avoid paying to have tables set up and taken down. I feel like we do everything we can to make things go smoothly for the vendors, Personally I will circulate during the show and check with the vendors to see if there is anything they need. Without them we would have no show.

For those who don't realize it, as presenters our income comes from the table rentals and addmission fees. Sales proceeds belong to the vendors, we want to see them do well so they will come back.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)