News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Your town names and why

Started by pdlethbridge, June 29, 2009, 06:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

Like some of you other guys, my freelance road is located in a real area, connecting the WM with the EBT, so the town names reflect some of the names along the projected route.  I went out a few years ago and took a bunch of scenic photos of the area along the route.  I've enlarged them and printed them out on a plotter, and glued them to the blue-painted backdrop.  So when you're at the WM interchange in Pineola, PA, the scenery in the background is what it is.  I also took photos of some sample structures and pasted them on the backdrop where suitable.  A couple were mounted on black Foamcore first to give a bit of depth to them as well. 

CNE Runner

'P' - I have included a Google map of upstate NY that includes Tupper Lake. This is a stunningly beautiful area...real wilderness outside of town. Please understand that I haven't actually visited Tupper Lake in years as we now reside in Alabama.

I hope this answers your question...sorry about the mix-up.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

DaveS

I have 2 "towns" on my layout, more of a small village really and a station with an off layout town. Anyway the names are Upper Chuffton (no such place, just made it up) and Mortimer which is a little village near Reading in England where some friends live.
Dave S

pdlethbridge

There is one spot on Tupper lake I particularly like is at the beginning. If you take state road 421, it goes over a bridge that goes over some real nice falls. The type you could slide down into the lake

Santa Fe buff

Well, my Museum is going to be call 'Dansburg Museum'. Named after it's so-called founder, Charles Dansburg. The town will be called St. Oakshine, after a famous painter who painted the towns first logo of an Oak Tree shining in the sun. He got that tree picture from the tree in the center of town. This was in 1866. Before that, it was nicknamed 'Guppy', by many locals and travelers after the fish trains that brought it up in 1866. Yes, it was formed in Spring 1866, and named by December 1866.

How about that for freelanced?

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer