News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Default CV Values

Started by BestSnowman, June 29, 2009, 07:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestSnowman

I got my Zephyr in the mail today (after a funny mailing mixup) and I'm trying to compile a default value profile so I can better understand what values do and finding it extremely tedius work reading the values one by one.

Does Bachmann publish the default values anywhere? I've found information on sound locomotives, but I'm looking for information on non-sound GP40s, FT-As, and my 2-8-4 Berkshire.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Yampa Bob

Default values for Bachmann (by Lenz) decoders:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

BestSnowman

You know what, I have a paper version of that laying around here somewhere. I don't know why I didn't think to look at that.

Next time I'll have to remember to look through that stack of papers I have kept in case I would ever need to know the default values of a bachmann decoder. Thanks Bob!
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Yampa Bob

Note that the PDF is for the small decoder used in Bachmann steam locomotives. The "decoder integrated into the light board" used in diesel models may have different values, and some CVs may not be supported.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Default values are the values that the decoder will return to when reset.  These are not always the best values for a particular locomotive, so a manufacturer has the option of changing one or more CVs before shipping.  An example would be Atlas shipping locomotives with addresses programmed to their road numbers.  In this case, the CVs you read back when you first buy the locomotive may be more use to you than the default values.

If you are planning to read back a lot of CVs, a computer program like Decoder Pro makes life much easier.  The program is free but it does require an interface such as the LocoBuffer USB or the Digitrax PR-3.

Once you have recorded all the CVs in a locomotive, playing with them is a great way to learn what they do.  You can always reset to default values or re-enter the values you found if you do not like the changes.  OPs mode is the quickest way of changing CVs.  You do not have to go to a programming track and being write only, you do not have wait through a read cycle.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

BestSnowman

Quote from: Yampa Bob on June 29, 2009, 09:33:46 PM
Note that the PDF is for the small decoder used in Bachmann steam locomotives. The "decoder integrated into the light board" used in diesel models may have different values, and some CVs may not be supported.

The values I was able to get from my FT-A (which has the decoder integrated lightboard) seem to match up with that sheet, though I was only able to check a couple of values so far.

Quote from: Jim Banner on June 29, 2009, 10:35:16 PM
Default values are the values that the decoder will return to when reset.  These are not always the best values for a particular locomotive, so a manufacturer has the option of changing one or more CVs before shipping.  An example would be Atlas shipping locomotives with addresses programmed to their road numbers.  In this case, the CVs you read back when you first buy the locomotive may be more use to you than the default values.

If you are planning to read back a lot of CVs, a computer program like Decoder Pro makes life much easier.  The program is free but it does require an interface such as the LocoBuffer USB or the Digitrax PR-3.

Once you have recorded all the CVs in a locomotive, playing with them is a great way to learn what they do.  You can always reset to default values or re-enter the values you found if you do not like the changes.  OPs mode is the quickest way of changing CVs.  You do not have to go to a programming track and being write only, you do not have wait through a read cycle.

I was looking for the default values for learning purposes, in the future I am planning on getting something like the PR-3. Loconet was actually the reason I got the Zehpyr but alas the budget is not unlimited.

It looks like my programming is going to have to wait until I can make a trip to Radio Shack as all of my decoders are Bachmann and only one is getting along with the Zehpyr. I can't even change the address in my 44 Ton switcher in paged or ops mode.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Jim Banner

Have you read the recent discussions on adding alligator clips to a 1k resistor as opposed to just laying it across the rails?  In one of them, Yampa Bob has a nice photo to illustrate.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

BestSnowman

Quote from: Jim Banner on June 30, 2009, 09:49:32 AM
Have you read the recent discussions on adding alligator clips to a 1k resistor as opposed to just laying it across the rails?  In one of them, Yampa Bob has a nice photo to illustrate.

Jim

Yep, just don't have any 1k resistors laying around so until I can make it to Radio Shack to pick one up I'll have to do all my CV programming with my EZ-Command :)
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

BestSnowman

I got a programming track setup, since I didn't have anywhere to put an isolated siding I decided to put a static display track next to the main station:

http://cid-811d1df10b2b3e61.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Train/IMG%7C_1085.jpg

It will serve as a static display of an engine I'm not running when not in use as a programming track. This way its always wired up but invisible to the unaware viewer.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog