News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound for large scale

Started by New ChooChoo, July 03, 2009, 04:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New ChooChoo

Well I bought my FIRST set and it should be here next week. I got the Silverado passenger set. I think it looks sharp! My question is, will it be hard to add a sound upgrade to it? I'd like for it to have a bell and whistle and maybe the chuffing if the standard chuffing isnt that good.
   Also how large of a power pack will I need if I enlarge the layout from the standard oval?

jestor

I use PheonixSound systems in my large scale locos, and can recommend them highly. They are fairly easy to install (everything goes in the tender). Check out their web site to listen to the various sounds available.  Your Spectrum pack that comes with the set( I believe it's rated at about 1.5AMPs) should be good to support a reasonable amount of expansion as long as you intend to run just the one loco.  Sooner or later you may  decide to upgrade the power pack. I can recommend the MRC Control Master 20; a 10AMP pack that has a tethered hand held controller.

spla13

qsi makes a nice affordable system that sounds as good or better than the others and with no batteries or stupid track magnets.  bob.

Casey_Jones

From what I understand, here are our options (please correct me if I'm wrong)

QSI: DCC and Sounds all in one, has BEMF for speed control, can download updates, however, does NOT control the smoke unit and only controls the headlight and light on tender, does not control flicker in loco or other lights. 

Question:  What sounds come with this board?  Does it only have the cuff and whistle? i.e. other sound boards have coal shoveling, coupler clank etc?  I have been up and down the QSI web site and can't find a list of sound they offer on that board.

LokSound: great DCC and sound all in one board,  BEMF motor control and lots of controls for lighting etc.  Downloadable  updates

Pheonix: sounds only, very nice sounds, VERY expensive.

Dallee: sounds only and they are not very good.

Digitrax: DCC only for large scale

MRC: has a generic sound board.

Lenz: great DCC boards, no sound

NCE great DCC system, no sound

Soundtraxx: rumored to be working on a Tsunami for large scale.

jestor

Choo choo did not indicate an interest in command control. For operation with a DC power pack, the choices narrow considerably.   

RonP

If you can find one, one of the old Sierra sound systems would be the one I would choose. Unless you run some sort of PWC for the motor control (DCC, Aristo Train engineer etc) , these are the simplest to fit and use.

I have just put the new Revolution Train Engineer into my Connie, along with a Sierra sound system. The controller is great, the sound works well. I dont like 'twist the knob' controllers for outdoor use, if you stay at the controller, you dont get to walk with the train or enjoy yhe garden. But if you do walk with the train then if something goes wrong you cant turn the power off quickly.

1.5Amps is plenty for that loco and carriage set, and your track would need to be a few hundred feet long before the power pack would be considered a problem. From your post, that could be a while away yet.

At the moment though, the market is a little bereft of a decent, low cost, sound system . Current pricing means you will need to spend about the same as the loco again for a sound system that is worth the effort.