News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train vs. Tornado

Started by Yampa Bob, July 03, 2009, 08:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

To Santa Fe Buff :  Harvard is eleven miles north of Marengo on route 23/14 . Union is about  3miles east of  Marengo down the tracks   UP former CNW.  The Tracks through Harvard  are  UP former CNW Northwest Route . Harvard is currently the last Metra stop on that route , it also goes through Woodstock and Crystal Lake on its way into Chicago.
The route is triple track going through Harvard .  John II.

RAM

the camera pointed toward the rear because the unit is running backward.  The cameras are mounted in the cab and aren't moved from unit to unit.  Yes when the cars rolled, they lost the air.  But remember you don't stop a train on a dime.  That tank car had 20 or 30 cars pushing it.  It is much harder to drag 7 or 8 cars on their side, than it is for 30 cars to push one derailed tank car.  That is the reason the locomotives stop so quick.  The rest of the train was slowing down, but did not have time to stop. 

Jim Banner

I too wondered about the camera.  But if the railroad has one camera in every locomotive, then two locomotives coupled back to back would have two cameras, one pointed forward, the other pointed back.

You probably know that a 100 car train traveling at 60 miles per hour takes almost a mile to stop even with full emergency braking.  But what about if the train cars were not coupled together?  Wouldn't they still take a mile to stop?  I suspect the tank car had already slowed considerably.

In a head on collision at Hinton Alberta (a few hundred miles north of Calgary) a loaded grain hopper flew end over end over three locomotive and split open, dumping its load on the fourth and the car following.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jbsmith

Holy Smokes!
I quess they were lucky that tanker held together,,just imagine if it had
unleaded gas or ethanol or what ever else that goes Boom!
A real heart stopper seeing that tanker some straight at you,,with SPARKS!

Another one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc4WPbmtK-o&feature=related