News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train vs. Tornado

Started by Yampa Bob, July 03, 2009, 08:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

panniertankboy8751

Hmmmm... At about 1:22, That's the "Oh Crap" Moment.

Ray Dunakin

Holy cow! That looks like something from a movie!

Visit www.raydunakin.com for photos, step-by-step articles and other information about the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Yampa Bob

RichG sent me the link. I don't know if it was "staged" or what, but it's pretty awesome. 

OkieRick

I would have had to shovel out my dawers after seeing that tank car headed my way.

Good job, thank RichG.

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

I just received the following related news link from Rich:

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/article_5c29b200-ea08-5c84-922c-e62fb2bb6d28.html

No information about the on board camera, perhaps this is a standard procedure.  Luckily no one was injured and we get to see a remarkable view of a pile up.

Did you notice the tank car bouncing and sparks underneath? I watched the video about 20 times.

RAM

No one saw that tank car coming.  That was the trailing unit.

Santa Fe buff

Whoa, Boone and McHenry? That's right by Union, or better known as the Illinois Railway Musuem!

Scary, that tanker really scares you, looks like something out of a movie...

Joshua

EDIT: Bob, that's UP's track, right? That sucks. Those things are huge, imagine it looked like a toy when the huge tanker bounced around before striking the locomotive!
- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

What impressed me was how well the loco took the hits.

RAM

Bob, Those the on board camera are becoming standard procedure on most class 1s.  It is mainly for crossing accidence's.  A picture is better than "He said, She said"

az2rail

I received the video from a friend, so it seems to be making the rounds. I was going to share it with you all, but Bob beat me to it. None the less, it is a great video and well worth watching.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

pcctrolleyII

Holy cow that was nuts. I would have to agree with the soveling my dawers out. Good thing is no one was hurt.
PCC trolleys for life.

Yampa Bob

I was impressed also, the tanker seemed to appear out of nowhere then whammo.  Bounced off like a fly hitting an elephant.  :D

OkieRick

Quote from: Yampa Bob on July 06, 2009, 11:50:01 PM
I was impressed also, the tanker seemed to appear out of nowhere then whammo.  Bounced off like a fly hitting an elephant.  :D

According to the news link above one of the tankers was filled with "shock fluid."  Maybe that's why it bounced around so much.  :o

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

artkent

A couple of things bother me about this.  Why is the camera pointed toward the rear of the consist rather than a "Dashcam" to record grade crossings etc.?  When the car rolled it would appear that they lost the "air" and the brakes should set and stop or at least slow the remaining cars.
Just wondering.
Art