News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tipped over a locomotive today

Started by BestSnowman, July 05, 2009, 01:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestSnowman

I was having some funny running trains today when my FT-A turned F9 tipped over. I was coming out of a siding onto the mainline and looked a way for a second and all of a sudden the loco was on its side on top of a passing siding (and of course flipped the gondola full of loose rail ties).

What boggles my mind is that it wasn't at a high speed and was beyond the switch and on straight track, I guess I'll have to spend some time tinkering with it to figure out what made it so tipsy.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Jim Banner

Quote from: BestSnowman on July 05, 2009, 01:48:35 PM
... figure out what made it so tipsy.

Maybe it was still celebrating the fourth.   :D

Serious, some times there is no logical explanation.  Some years ago I was asked to show my H0 layout as part of the home tours for an NMRA meet.  It was my first time, so I wanted everything to go perfectly.  I ran the trains for about 20 hours before the show and for the 6 hours of the show without a single derailment.  Right at the end, the show chairman brought Jim Hediger, senior editor of Model Railroader, into my train room.  You know what's coming next, and it did.  One train went over on its side, locomotive, all the cars and the caboose, one at a time and very neatly.  No reason for it, it just did.

Jim   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rustyrails

Great story, Jim.  hehehehe
Rusty

BestSnowman

Yeah, I usually get a derailment when I try to show the layout to someone no matter how many times a loco will get through a turnout by myself.

I suspect it was a little chance plus some help. Early last week I had it on a piece of loose track acting as a temporary programming track (it was the day I got my zephyr) and my son was playing in the room I have my layout while he was supposed to be cleaning his room. He knocked it on the floor and the front truck assembly broke off.

I suspect when I put humpty dumpty back together I didn't tighten the truck assemblies to the frame enough so they have a little bit too much play too them.

Then again maybe I better check the adult beverage stash, in the mean time its in the shop waiting for repair.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

ta152h0

Check the little wire hanging from the coupler. It might be hanging too low and you need to bend it up a little.

Yampa Bob

Maybe that's why it's called a "trip pin".  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

OkieRick

PD,

I'm starting to believe Bob starts his day with a bowl of razor blades instead of bran and prune juice.  The feller sure stays sharp.

Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

My main motto in life is: "If you're waiting on me you're backing up".

Reminds me of the story about 2 guys being chased through the woods by an angry bear:

Guy #2.."I don't think we can outrun that bear".

Guy #1.."Whaddya mean "WE"? All I have to do is outrun you".  :D

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jward

pat & mike are walking on the tracks when a train approaches. mike runs off the track while pat runs down the tracks. mike yells " for the love of god, pat, run up the bank!" pat yells back, "if i can't beat him on the level how am i going to beat him uphill?"
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ta152h0

should have seen bob when i was posting about german locomotives here in the US and was using german compound words to describe simple things. Bob was very creative. them the brits showed up and mentioned things like " loo in a carriage '  ;D