Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Geometry for Bachmann G Scale Track

Started by ROBOCOP2160, June 13, 2009, 01:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROBOCOP2160

Hi,

Fairly new to G Scale,  I have had N scale and HO for 35 years +

Recently bought the Wonderland Flyer Set and it came with a bonus Christmas powered tram car.

We set it up last year at Christmas and the kids loved it.

My big question... I have the track that came with the set only and want to expand it slightly.

I understand there are many brands of Brass track, but all I need are two Turnours RH + LH and several more straights.

I can't find anywhere that lists the geometry of these items.. Does the Bachmann G scale turnout equal 1 straight and one curve?

Any help appreciated.

I have just converted both Locomotives to DCC, (using stock HO TCS T1 decoders with BEMF - It works perfectly and has plenty of power 2 amps peak).

They run much smoother at low speed and lights and interior lights can be all controlled independantly now.

Cheers

Rob

Paul W.

Hi Rob, and welcome to large scale  ;D

I think the turnouts are very close to the same size as the curves. We use them over at my Fathers suspended layout, but without driving over to visit, I don't have a way to get you an exact measurement.

You can find extra pieces as well as turnouts on Ebay all the time, so picking up extra's won't be a problem.

Just remember, if you have plans of running your trains outside, you CAN'T use Bachmann track, it's indoor use only and it WILL rust......fast! :o

good luck
Happy Steamin'

Paul

ROBOCOP2160

Thanks Paul,

No plans to go out doors, just to set up a more elaborate indoor christmas layout this year.. an oval with a passing siding and a spur track etc..

...at least for now... G scale is addictive..

Rob

Paul W.

Rob,
You are right, it's ver addictive! My wife and I used to model HO, then one year we bought a set for under the tree, that's all it took. Now we kitbash and scratchbuild rolling stock and engines, the possibilities are endless.
Welcome to the world of large scale, and enjoy the fun  ;D
Happy Steamin'

Paul

jestor

Bachmann curves are R1 (4ftdia) each piece equals 30 degrees.  Bachmann switches are R1. Straight track is 12" long. The curved part of a switch equals a curved section, and the straight part of a switch equals a straight section. This makes adding a passing track at the end of a loop of track very easy. Track is avaiable from the "PRODUCTS" section, and on E-Bay. Incidentally, LGB, Aristocraft, USA Trains basic switches and track are the same geometry as Bachmann"s; that is to say they all use R1 curves and are 12" long.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

You can mate to other solid rail track or turnouts if you remove the black blades from the hollow Bachmann G track. 

To remove the blades, turn the Bachmann track over, and look for the bent up tabs cut from the rails near the center tie.  Gently bend the tabs up to match the profile of the rail, then slide the rail away from the blade.  When the rail clears the blade, lift the blade out.

Save the blade for future use.  (I store mine under the tie, with a piece of black electrical tape wrapped around the tie.)

Slide the rail back and gently bend the rail tabs to hold it in place.

You will need some other method to hold the different track sections together, as the Bachmann plastic clips will not work with other manufacturers ties.  I use 2 rubber bands per joint, though there is probably a more elegant way to do it.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ROBOCOP2160

Hey thanks Joe and Jestor,

Exactly the information I needed and confirmed what I suspected.

Cheers

Rob

jestor

Rob, there is plenty of Bachmann track and switches available on E-Bay, for less than the other brands. Caboose Hobbies also carries Bachmann track. I suggest that you make life simple and stick to Bachmann track unless you desire larger radius curves.

jsmvmd

Thanks, Joe for the reminding.  You must have posted this originally 6 or so years ago.  I'm glad you're still kicking !

Best Wishes,

Jack

andyb

Hope you don't mind me asking this here but I recently bought a job lot of G items, which included a box of Bachmann track.

But when I came to put it all together, I noticed that six of the curves had the fishplate/joiners on the opposite rail.  :-\

On looking further, it seems that this track doesn't have the Bachmann wording on the underside but, apart from the opposite joiners, looks exactly the same.  ::)

Any ideas who might have produced it?

Thanks

AndyB

bnsonger47

Rob,

Say, if you're still looking for turnouts and some additional Bachmann track, I have some I'll sell to you at at an attractive price and throw in six pieces of straight and four curves at no cost. The switches have never been out of the box. That's a better than any deal on eBay and I'll be able to get rid of some track. Why, you ask? Because I've moved out to the ground and am using Aristo stainless steel now. I was going to list the track on eBay but that's too much trouble (in addition to paying eBay for the listing and PayPal for getting money. Of course, if you can't be trusted, forget I made the offer.  ;) By the way, the track is clean.

Send me an email off the list to bsonger@songerconsulting.net; I'll be glad to work with you.
Byron Songer
Victorian Crossing
Louisville, KY

ROBOCOP2160

Hi Byron..

Have sent you an email.. thanks, hope to hear from you..

Rob

Joe Satnik

Andy B.,

Here is an old thread discussing G track with opposite rail connectors:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7571.0.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

andyb

Thanks Joe

I had a look and it is both relevant and helpful

I've also had an email from another collector who has come across this too - so I'm not alone  ;D

Best Regards

Andy