News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How not to use a turntable

Started by BestSnowman, July 07, 2009, 09:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

Of course I've also read that the famous N&W test between steam and diesel was rigged, and had the test been fair, the N&W steam would have won.  However, by that time, it was getting harder and harder to find appliances for steam.  Sort of like today.  Go into Sears and try to buy a typewriter.   
I guess I missed this post.  As I recall the steam won, but it was the lack of a supply of appliances that did them in.  The Santa Fe had a test bed for a 4-8-4 3752.  The data on the tests was not released until the hand writing was on the wall.  Steam would not have lasted much longer, but it could have added another five years.  As far as the typewriter, kids today do not even know what a typewriter is.

pdlethbridge

A small fact. The turntable at the B&M yard in Boston was taken out after a Budd car was sent into the pit by unknown parties.

panniertankboy8751

Quote from: RAM on December 23, 2009, 10:34:34 PM
As far as the typewriter, kids today do not even know what a typewriter is.

I do  ;D

Cody J

CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Heave

There are a number of flea markets in my area. Second hand stuff. You can find old style cameras, typewriters, singer sewing machines etc dating back 50+ years and still functional.

Where I am, all three are availible for a few hundred dollars max and you only need human power and a knowledge of the old ways to make these things work just as good as the new stuff imported from China today. And you dont need Batteries or Electric power to do it.