does bachmann make any DCC on board bnsf modern wide cab locomotives?

Started by bnsfmodeler, April 03, 2007, 08:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnsfmodeler

hello i was wodering does bachmann make any DCC onboard bnsf modern day wide cab locomitves such as SD70MACS, dash9's or SD90MACS?

CAB_IV

the only wide cab that Bachmann makes are the C40-8Ws, and they don't have a BNSF version ( in fact i don't think they make anything BNSF).  You could paint an undecorated model, but i think you might want to get a prepainted unit.

you might want to go with Atlas Gold series, since they are cheapest with DCC already installed. Kato is making their new AC4400CWs and C44-9W locomotives with provisions for the new digitrax sound decoders. sop installation should be easy, no frustrating modifications. ( the speaker would go in the ideal location in the fuel tank)

Tower55 also makes some of the new ES44 and SD70ACe locomotives in BNSF if you have the money. 

You can always fit a speaker in the wide cab of the locomotive if you buy an offering from Athearn.  there should be more than enough room for  the standard speaker like that from Loksound.

CAB_IV

yeah i was wrong.  Bachmann makes 2 road numbers of C40-8Ws in ATSF warbonnet paint, with BNSF on the side.

bnsfmodeler

well i already have 2 tower 55 bnsf locomotives and a whole bunch of athearn and atlas and a few katos but thanks for the advice lol, anyways thanks again!!!!

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

kevin2083

I think he is refering to the "canadian" or "safety" cab.

the first loco has the "wide" cab and the other two don't.

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

rogertra

Kevin is correct about the "Safety Cab" but it's NOT a wide cab.

All three locos have a cab the same width.  The width of the frame.  In fact, the trailing CNR loco may also have a "Safety" cab, you cannot tell because the cab is no wider than the other three.  :-)

"Wide cab" is a typical railfan misnomer.

What I notice is wider, is the nose, not the cab.

Anyway, these are cabs "invented" by Canadian National Railway that they call the "Comfort Cab".

When the cab was adopted by American railroads they couldn't, of course, use the Canadian name because Americans like to create their own names for things invented in other countries, so the American builders came up with "North American Cab".

Nothing about the cab is "wide".

Atlantic Central

To Roger and all,

Roger is right, it is a "safety cab" and the Canadian roads where the first to use them on road engines with external walkways, but the Canadians did not "invent" them. EMD "invented" it in 1967 when they built the FP45 and F45 for the Santa Fe. The saftey cab in use today is virtually identical to the FP45/F45 cab, just now it is stuck on the front of engines with external walkways instead of an engine that was a post modern cab unit.

Sheldon

Virginian

Boxcab II is what crossed my mind when I saw the first one.  I have not changed my opinion.  Almost all the trains are totally utilitarian, and almost all the cars are designed by computer and look like they descended from the same stepped on jelly bean.  We definitely need the Italians to design a good looking locomotive.
"What could have happened... did."

Atlantic Central

One more note, among the real railroaders I know (serveral engineers) they seem to call them safety cabs or comfort cabs quite interchangeably, and I am way down here in Maryland. So while the manufacturers may not use the "Canadian" name, the railroaders sure do.

It is however much nicer to be stuck here in 1954 when you could easily tell an Alco from an EMD and not worry with such things.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"