News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 1:20.3 Forney

Started by Kevin Strong, July 09, 2009, 01:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Strong

They're on display at the NGRC in Denver! Two versions - inside-frame with wood cab and outside frame with steel cab. Essentially upscaled versions of the On30 locos. They look fantastic, AND they're real Forneys, unlike LGB's where the drivers pivot under the boiler. Hats off to Bachmann. Yeah, the Maine locos were 2' gauge, and these are 3' gauge, but they're great looking locos.

Alas, my camera was not with me, so I'll have to get photos later.

Later,

K

tac

Kevin, over here in yUK I doubt that more than one in a million of the population would notice the disparity in the track gauge.

This model really has popped out of the woodwork - I had never heard anything about it until I read your post.....

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org

samevans

Oh yes we would notice a 15mm disparity even here in the UK.  Why can't Bachman make a model of a proper 3ft ga Forney instead of distorting a 2 footer?  I don't suppose it will be regaugeable so that it could be run on something approaching the correct track gauge?  Sheesh.  PS I bet if Bachmann made a 1:20.3 K 27 to run on 32mm or 30mm gauge there would be howls of outrage from the Garden Rail Community.

Sam E

Lemurien

tac

Quote from: samevans on July 09, 2009, 10:39:24 AM
Oh yes we would notice a 15mm disparity even here in the UK.  Why can't Bachman make a model of a proper 3ft ga Forney instead of distorting a 2 footer?  I don't suppose it will be regaugeable so that it could be run on something approaching the correct track gauge?  Sheesh.  PS I bet if Bachmann made a 1:20.3 K 27 to run on 32mm or 30mm gauge there would be howls of outrage from the Garden Rail Community.

Sam E

Sigh.

Please read what I wrote, Sir.  I wrote that 'one in a million of the population' - that means you and me, and sixty-one others who would notice.  My comment was not aimed at you personally.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

vic

I read the MSRP will be $1150?  ???

$ 11 freakin 50 ???? are you kidding me???  :o

Even though theres so far no mention of DCC or sound, I dont want either, so a grand for this??? Is it gold plated? does it cook breakfast for me? There is no way I'm paying over a grand for whats basicly a saddletaner with a tender glued on! The Sadie was never more than $150 which was a fair price.

If this came out at average price of $200 I would be very tempted, but at $300 I'm back looking at the LGB Forney, if this hits the street around $600, I'm looking at two LGB Forneys...

Sheesh I'm being priced out of this hobby  >:(

calenelson

Nice? yes

happy? sure, why not....

I've seen many a request here and elsewhere for a Fn3 Forney, prob made one myself a time or two...

Was Bachmann listening, I'd guess so...they made it.

No wonder I've had ZERO response to my Climax and American I've got for sale.... :(

Jon D. Miller

Great News! :)

If you are a member of Large Scale on Line there are over twenty pictures of the new Forney along with the detailed listing of its features.

I've contacted my dealer and placed a pre-order for one of the inside frame versions.

Vic, too rich for your blood?  ;D There's always the LGB Forney of questionable scale and lacking in meaningful detail.  Or, how about the little 1:24 scale version by HLW.  No detail to speak of but then you get what you pay for.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

CCSII

Kind of tacky response to Vic. The scale is only 12" off as far as gauge goes. Details are cheap. My 2 cents.

StanAmes

Kevin

Are yuou sure of your comment that theis is a scaled up 2 ft forney.  I am not so sure.  Being in the North East I am familiar with the Maine 2 ft forneys as there were in ederville for a number of years before returning to Maine.  I have not put a caliper to one yet but there were 3 ft gauge forneys as well.  It will be interesting to compare.

Stan

az2rail

Even though the MSRP is $1150, you can figure the going price will be around $600 or 7 hundred dollars. Maybe less, maybe more, depending on who you buy from.

I hope it is worth it. I passed on the 2-6-6-2T, but I will more than likely get one of these.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

vic

$600 bucks is still $450 more than I've ever spent on any single engine :-[

Not all of us have Deep Pockets or Trust Funds :-\

No matter what price on the streets is, at that base MSRP I'm totally priced out, this is why I scratchbuild most of my stuff now...its just getting too blipity-blip expensive  :o

Kevin Strong

Quote from: StanAmes on July 09, 2009, 10:24:44 PM
...Are you sure of your comment that this is a scaled up 2 ft forney...

One would assume that had Bachmann used a 3' gauge forney as a prototype for this, we'd see it lettered for the Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn, or other 3' gauge railroad that ran forneys. This particular loco is lettered for the SR&RL, and looks nearly identical to SR&RL #10, so its pretty easy to connect the dots in that regard.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the proportions generally match the 3' gauge forneys that ran on the BRB&L and other lines, but the detailing draws from the Maine roads. It's a right attractive combination, if you ask me. I don't have BRB&L forney measurements at the top of my head, but I'll take photos and measurements of the B'mann model tomorrow and see how it measures up.

Later,

K

samevans

Quote from: Kevin Strong on July 10, 2009, 02:02:58 AM
Quote from: StanAmes on July 09, 2009, 10:24:44 PM
...Are you sure of your comment that this is a scaled up 2 ft forney...

One would assume that had Bachmann used a 3' gauge forney as a prototype for this, we'd see it lettered for the Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn, or other 3' gauge railroad that ran forneys. This particular loco is lettered for the SR&RL, and looks nearly identical to SR&RL #10, so its pretty easy to connect the dots in that regard.
Later,
K

The Boston, Revere Beach, & Lynn did not use Forneys.  Most of its locos were Masons (single Fairlies) where the engine unit  was articulated as well as the carrying bogie (truck). 

Forneys were rigid framed tank locos, the novel feature being that both coal and water were carried in a bunker to the rear of the cab, and the locos were designed originally to run bunker forward (ie as 4-4-0 s)

Sam E

samevans

Quote from: tac on July 09, 2009, 01:26:21 PM
Quote from: samevans on July 09, 2009, 10:39:24 AM
Oh yes we would notice a 15mm disparity even here in the UK. 

Sigh.

Please read what I wrote, Sir.  I wrote that 'one in a million of the population' - that means you and me, and sixty-one others who would notice.  My comment was not aimed at you personally.

tac

Ah, you were being ironic?  Does not show up well in a forum posting.  Not sure if they do a smiley for irony.

I did not assume it was personal.

I have to say that I suspect that the majority of real NG nuts in the UK know full well that the SRRL was a 2 ft line.  The ordinary 'G' nut, even in the US, probably doesn't know and cares even less, hence my remark about the K27.  The howls of outrage would not be about a 3 ft loco being run on 2 ft gauge, but that as a 32mm gauge model it would not run on 45mm gauge. 

Sam E

PS assuming that the loco is built almost consistently to 1:20.3, its loading gauge is going to be rather small when compared with non industrial 3 footers.  I also suspect that as an industrial loco it would be rather too heavy for most industrial tracks.