Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new caboose

Started by ossygobbin, July 09, 2009, 03:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossygobbin

mr bachman
i am surprised you havnt mentioned this on here yet

On2-1/2 side-door wood caboose. Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes.
Also available unlettered but painted caboose red, oxide brown,
oxide red, or yellow and black. Removable cupola and roof,
amber light-emitting diode interior lighting, and E-Z Mate Mark II magnetic knuckle couplers.
$65. Fall 2009. Ready-to-run. Spectrum series.

Melinda

And according to Walthers, a 2-6-6-2 WITH tender (kitbashers, start your dremels)! And the 4-6-0 with sound! woo hoo!

Ken

Ingenio Angelina #9 "Milan" appears to be the protoype for the 2-6-6-2 which operated in the Dominican Republic. Built by Baldwin in 1908. Compound engine.

Ken Clark
  GWN

JohnR

The full NMRA announcement pdf doc is on the Bachmann Home page.  The caboose, 2662, and 460 w/sound are all that are listed.

Still no details as to whether the reworked 260 will be dcc ready (or better).  And for those wanting - Heisler, 3-truck Shay, 2-4-0, new little Porter, etc., I guess we continue to wait and hope that they are in the pipeline somewhere.

-John

Hamish K

Does removeable cupola mean that it can be configured without the cupola? How long is it?

Hamish

max (uk)

I was a bit worried with all the requests for a D&RGW caboose, as that wouldnt have suited mine or many peoples layouts at all!

However, I think these SR&RL style ones are fab! With so many appealing colour schemes, I cant just buy one can I? :P

Well done Bachmann! I will definitely want one of these under my tree, if not sooner!  ;D

railtwister

Quote from: Hamish K on July 09, 2009, 08:03:17 PM
Does removeable cupola mean that it can be configured without the cupola? How long is it?

Hamish

After looking at the pictures in the Bachmann release, I came away thinking that something just didn't look "right" about the caboose, then I realized what it was. The cupola windows on the real SR&RL caboose extend over almost all of the side of the cupola and don't have the big solid panel between the windows as shown in the Bachmann model. Just like the existing On30 caboose, an ugly cupola RUINS the model! Hopefully, it will be easily removable so that it can be replaced by one with more correct looking side windows. Maybe we can even convince Mt. Blue or Banta to produce a laser cut kit for a more correct cupola. I replaced the cupola on my Bachmann C&S on30 caboose with a slightly larger full width cupola I scratchbuilt out of styrene, and I think it improved the overall appearance of the caboose by 100%, even though it's not as fine as a factory molde one would be.

Regards,
Bill

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I am thrilled to see a new caboose from Bachmann,  but disapointed that they did not attempt to do the "EBT" versions that already exists in large scale.    That being said,   I love the looks of the new caboose and will have at least two on my railroad.
       Another thought for something new from Mt Blue,  Banta,  and possibly Raggs to Riches,  would be a new roof with a cupola that could be positioned anywhere along the roof line.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ossygobbin

mt blue already have a cupola that would probably fit and look more SRRL. my concern is the width of the caboose if it is on the existing chassis as it will be too wide. and doesnt look easy to narrow down.

railtwister

Quote from: ossygobbin on July 10, 2009, 02:19:17 PM
mt blue already have a cupola that would probably fit and look more SRRL. my concern is the width of the caboose if it is on the existing chassis as it will be too wide. and doesnt look easy to narrow down.

Since we are talking about building models of 2' gauge equipment and running them on trucks with a scale gauge of over 31", I'm less concerned with the actual width of the new caboose than I am with keeping the overall look and feel of the SR&RL prototype, which is lost with the cupola shown in the illustrations. If I were THAT concerned with scale dimensions, I'd get one of Mt. Blues scale kits. Otherwise, the Mt. Blue passenger car/caboose conversions are just fine, and they have far more correct appearing cupolas than Bachmann.

Regards,
Bill Nielsen

John Tumolo

I for one am thrilled that Bachmann has seen fit to produce a copy of the SR & RL caboose.  For all of you purists out there, calm down-the Mount Blue kit is just for you. From the photo, it looks like Bachmann has captured the essence of the caboose, and if you take note, the number on the photo (559) is a fictitious number.  The SR & RL caboose numbers ended with 558.  Now I have something to look forward to in the fall-and something to keep bugging John Weigel at Peterboro Railroad about.  "Is it here yet???"  Now to keep asking Bachmann for a Maine 2-foot 2-6-2 Prairie..........            John Tumolo  Britcarfan@aol.com

ebtbob

To John T.

Yeah,  Bachmann should consider doing an On30 2-6-2,  but don't forget,   the EBT also had a 2-6-2,  #11 that would be a nice addition to the line.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Frisco

I like the new caboose, and I'll probally get a couple of them. I would have liked it to be a Rio Grande long caboose, but Bachmann seems to hold a grudge against anything that ran in Colorado. As for the 2-6-6-2 all I can say is, is what animal puked that thing up, why didn't you guys do a scaled down version of the large scale one? It might not be Colorado, but there is NO Denying that it's a VERRY nice looking locomotive. Oh well, maby MMI could be convenced to do a plastic line, as it's looking like that's my only hope at getting anything from the western US.....

jestor

Hamish, I imagine that the cupola is "removeable" in order to have access to place figure(s) in the seat(s), if you so desire.

ebtnut

I'm not sure if the models on display at Hartford were production models or not.  My one small quibble if they were production is that the trucks look like they are not readily adaptable to widening to On3 like some recent releases.  Also, there are no convertible coupler pockets either.  Not to say I won't obtain one and covert it to On3; just that it will take a bit more work than with some other cars.