News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2

Started by Hamish K, July 09, 2009, 09:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

The look some people are complaining about (like an HO model with an O scale cab) was not uncommon for narrow gauge locos. Not just overseas or exported locos or for gauges less than 3 feet, for example the 3 foot gauge Lawndale 2-8-0.

There is a tendency for some people to equate narrow gauge with the larger 3 foot gauge lines such as Colorado or EBT etc. However these were only part of narrow gauge even in the USA.

ON30 modellers are a diverse lot, modelling a wide range of prototype and freelanced lines. Bachmann can not hope to please everyone. They do seem to be trying to balance their offerings, the 4-6-0 as a larger 3 foot loco, some 30 inch locos for those who want to model 30 inch gauge and so on. True not all that much for Colorado (the 2-6-0 and the railtruck) but other makers have produced Colorado items.  Nobody else has made the small and funky that some, including me, like.

Hamish

jestor

I like this loco a lot. I have no doubt it will handle 18" radius, which will make it a "must have" for a lot of us.  BIG SMILE!

locoron

Lotta grumbling and complaining but this is a model of a REAL 30" gauge engine.  Small boiler, big cab just like the 4-4-0. Ads a lot of character.       Only problem I have is when can I get one?
locoron

railtwister

I must say that when I first saw the 2-6-6-2 last week, I thought it looked rather odd, with a boiler that appeared too "skinny" to match the rest of the loco. Since the Forneys were released a couple of years ago, I decided to concentrate my On30 attentions only on stuff that looked more or less like the Maine 2' prototypes. However, the more I look at the photos and drawings of the prototype and the model, I find that this loco seems to be growing on me. I'm even beginning think I may just need a 2-6-6-2 to pull some of the log cars that I purchased  when they were first released a few years ago. I'm afraid that by the time the articulateds actually arrive, I may be anxiously awaiting them as much as others on the list (so much for self control!).

Bill

steinked

to my opinion the 2-6-6-2 is an intelligent choice by Bachmann:
1.: An articulated has long been asked for. The only engine longer on the wishlist is the Heisler.
2.: An articulated rod model will not suffer from technical issues with model gear.
3.: It has a 30 inch prototype, which has the potential to please a lot of non-american narrow gauge modelers as well.
4.: It avoids to p. o. those, who already kitbashed the Mantua H0 logger into a 0n30 tank engine (Thanks to Backwoods Miniatures for their excellent kit.).
5.: Size is a fair compromise between Colorado "main line" steam and tiny industrial locos. For many industrial modelers (like me) the 4-6-0 is very big. But we did not complain, but felt happy with the common carrier modellers for getting such a nice engine. So, please don't worry about Bachmann serving the other end of the 0n30 range this time.

Hurray: It will be available with (hopefully proper) Mallet sound from start on!

Waiting for the 2-6-6-2 to arrive and still hoping for a Heisler

Dieter

Manns Creek Railway - Mining and Logging

erider2002

Does anyone know if this loco is going to be built with a metal cab & boiler like the rest of the on30 Spectrum steamers? The Bachmann catalog doesn't say, so I'm assuming it is going to be plastic.

Tomcat

Dear all,
to me - the 2-6-6-2 is a well-chosen model by Bachmann. It´s accurate and imagine, such a articulated engine could have been found on logging lines in the States too.
I had done a very similar looking model from a Mantua with a Bachmann Mogul tender beeing narrowed and shortened. Not having this loco in mind, I ended up with a very similar model - having the Banta cab.

I´m too, like a certain lot of you, waiting for a Heisler to come.
But first let me say: WELL DONE BACHMANN !!!
Welcome 2-6-6-2 to the world of 0n30 tracks...

Cheers, Tom :) :) :)

30inchminded

I would like to second the motion that the "The Bach Man" has outdone himself on this one!! I have been riding the fence as to wether I would model again as I have not been happy with the choices available over the past few years, but this one has definitely made my mind up! I have the erection prints for the Ingenio Angelina #4 and this model appears to be right on!! All you sugar cane modelers should rejoice, it may not be Hawaii, but the Dominican Republic was huge in Sugar Cane and this engine was right in the middle of it!! I will take two please!!

railtwister

Please pardon the pun, but if Bachmann were to release some double truck sugar cane cars like those seen on the "La Zafra" On30 display layout, to pull behind the new 2-6-6-2 (and also the O.F. 2-8-0), it surely would be "sweet"!