News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New stuff

Started by Linzthom, July 10, 2009, 03:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnR

I don't think the Heisler is being delayed by the Climax issues.  My belief is that Bachmann did a run of Climax's with good drive-line components, then got a batch of bad ones.  The bad batch went undetected and ended up in the distribution channels. 

There are a half dozen Climax's in my group - all with hours of run time and no out-of-box issues.  However, all were received before the drive-line issues surfaced.  We view the Climax as our work horse. 

My On30 fun isn't dependent on a Heisler.  I do like the loco though and would likely buy one no matter which variant gets produced.  For now, I'll carry on with what I have.

-John

Linzthom

As to the type of Heisler. There is the lighter 'I' Beam framed  lokey or the heavier 'diamond' framed lokey. If we are looking at the same weights of the prototype as the Shay and Climax then we have the 'I' beam as a front contender. After all, 30" gauge track and operations wouldn't have had any thing much over 40 ton lokies anyway.

As to the Rivarossi conversions. Well, I sorry, but they just don't look right to my mind. The running gear, wheels. motor all look strange and too small. BUT they do run beautifully. I have 2 I converted into Sn3.5 and they are just the bees knees.

So it is possible to get a reliable mech. to run and run well. Mine are relentless and would run for hours, if I let them.

The only thing stopping me making my own Heisler in On30 is getting the trucks to work. I've tried but it is beyound me at the moment. So I put the model on hold for a while.

-Lindsay

http://heisler.webs.com/

I'm going to live forever; or die trying

Ken

Lindsay

Just as a note the Braden Copper Company ran 3truck 60 & 80 Ton SHAY's
  FCAB operated 85 ton Kitson-Meyers a 2-6-0+0-6-2T and a 2-6-0+0-6-4T
  RFRIT  Mitsubishi 2-10-2s are light weights at 48 Tons
  VRlys Beyer-Garratts  2-6-0+0-6-2T are  69Tons
  PN     Baldwins   OF 2-8-2  50Tons
           Henschel    IF 2-8-2    47 Tons
  SLGRly Beyer-Garratts 4-8-2+2-8-4T 66 Tons

What they have in common is they are all 2ft 6in gauge.

Ken Clark
    GWN

Linzthom

True, but not many companies ran Heislers on 30" lines either. So that maybe a reason why Bachman isn't playing ball as well.
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

El Loco

My Climax issues are in the circuit board.  I have the knowledge to fix them as for the parts as well. I guess the sudden malfunction  kind of caused a loss of interest.   Some day I'll get it down and replace the bad components.