Question for the Bachmann re: the 2-8-0 news release

Started by Pacific Northern, July 10, 2009, 10:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

As indicated in the news release, the Spectrum 2-8-0 will now be part of the Standard line.
Does this mean less detail?
Will the Standard motor be the same as the Spectrum motor or is it to be changed?
Any change to the DCC chip to be used?

Any changes other than the above?
Pacific Northern

Frisco

I'm also curious about this. Also will it still be compatible with the Spectrum Med. Vanderbuilt tenders?Thanks,
Ryan

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The 2-8-0 will be basically the same engine. It's been moved to the Standard Line to make it more affordable.
I'll see what specifics I can find out tomorrow.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Yampa Bob

I'm sure many modelers are glad to see the 2-8-0 retained. As Mr B. noted, moving it to the Standard line makes it more affordable; the retail price has been reduced from $171 to $139.

However, it appears the UP version is no longer available with Stephenson Valve Gear, so I won't be buying any more. Besides I already have 3 new in their boxes, with Stephenson gear.

This seems to follow the current trend of "rubber stamping" a model, then applying an assortment of road names and numbers.

Also, we were earlier informed that the motors are 3 pole, yet the announcement still indicates 5 pole. Why can't we get a definitive answer on this issue?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Pacific Northern

If I remember correctly it was the Bach Man himself who made the reference to the 3 pole motor in the 2-8-0. 

I too had asked about the 2-8-0 ads still referring to a 5 pole motor and was told they were old ads.

Wonder what other HO models may be using the 3 pole motor?
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

I have always considered the Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation the "flagship" of the Bachmann steam line. I am disappointed it has been "demoted" to Standard status.

I find it ironic that the same Connie, with "sound on board" is still in the Spectrum line.  Perhaps at some point, only sound equipped locomotives will have the honor of being called "Spectrum".
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Pacific Northern

The Bach Man said he would check and get back to the Forum as to what the differences would be between the Spectrum Connie and the new Standard Connie.

I for one am most anxious to get a reply to that question. I too though of the Connie as the "Flagship" of the Spectrum line.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on July 12, 2009, 06:32:06 PM
The Bach Man said he would check and get back to the Forum as to what the differences would be between the Spectrum Connie and the new Standard Connie.

I for one am most anxious to get a reply to that question. I too though of the Connie as the "Flagship" of the Spectrum line.

Agreed.

As to the sound option, as is known on this board I think sound is over rated and, even these days, still sounds "tinny" as in "Having a thin metallic sound: a high tinny voice" sounding rather like my oft mentioned "1960s transistor radio".   ;D

Pacific Northern

Mr. Bach Man you were going to get back to us on the differences between the 2-8-0 Spectrum and Standard engines.
Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear All,
As far as I can find out there are no differences, although I haven't seen one.
The three pole motor issue is actually moot; the high efficiency three poles have at least the performance of the older five poles motors.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Santa Fe buff

Good, some questions answered. Sad, that the 2-8-0 is demoted, it's such a great engine. It's relaxing to hear of the simularities, though.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Atlantic Central

"Would not a rose by any other name smell as sweet?"

What possible difference could it make what color box it comes in or what they call it?

A Ford Crown Victoria or Mercury Grand Marquis - no difference, built in the same plant, by the same workers, with the same parts.

I'm sure the new 2-8-0's will be no different. Biggest possible difference may be no sound equiped models since tha seems to be reserved for Spectrum line products. OK by me, like Roger I don't like onboard sound in HO.

As for the motors, like the Bach Man said, it matters not. The new 3 pole runs as good or better than the old 5 pole. I know, I have both.

Sheldon

ilovenxstage

I'm actually glad the 2-8-0 is going to the standard line because now I will actually be able to afford one.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: ilovenxstage on July 25, 2009, 05:45:36 PM
I'm actually glad the 2-8-0 is going to the standard line because now I will actually be able to afford one.

for me the price will be going up $20-30.....hobby shop i go to had a great price on em, not saying what the price was or the shop as i dont wanna break rules....
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Pacific Northern

I do not understand how moving the 2-8-0 from the Spectrum line to the Standard line will reduce the cost. If Bachmann wanted to reduce the cost could they just not lower the MSRP?

I know a few people from the local model railroaders club that will only buy the Spectrum engines and flatly refuse anything from the Standard line. These are obviously people who relate to the days of Bachmann of old.

Read the other forums, if the name Bachmann is mentioned as a brand there is little in the way of positive remarks, Spectrum on the other hand is usually considered to be a good quality engine
Pacific Northern