Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Diesel locomotives

Started by Loco722, July 13, 2009, 01:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco722

Hello there.

This may be a really stupid question to ask but....... ;D,

Some months ago I received the Bachmann GE B23-7 locomotive and was very pleased with it.
I was really impressed with the fact it was 8 wheel drive and pickup which gave it smooth operation :).

I have plans now to purchase a second Bachmann locomotive, a EMD GP40 from a online model train store and was wandering if it too had 8 wheel drive and pickup as the B23-7 as it did not mention it in the info ???.

My question is does all new Bachmann Diesel come with all wheel drive now :-\?

PS: Also is there any other alternative oil I could use to lubricate the locomotives other than the purpose built model locomotive lubricant ????

Thanks a lot in advance :D,

Loco 722.   

jward

the gp40s i and my son have are all 8 wheel drive with a very smooth motor. they do not have a flywheel though. all are dcc onboard. i am pleased with their performance enough that we have 4 of them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pdlethbridge

The key to lubing the loco is to use 'ONLY PLASTIC COMPATIBLE LUBES'

CNE Runner

My first DCC locomotive was a Bachmann GP35. While not the best runner in the stable, the GP35 has served me well in horrendous conditions (on a garage layout that is subjected to heat, humidity, and cold in the winter...it has never missed a beat). My Atlas MP15DC is the only other diesel I own and it is an outstanding machine - however it cost several times more than that little Bachmann.

I use plastic compatible greases and oils on my locomotives...this has served to quiet the GP35's gear noise considerably. If you want an inexpensive, no nonsense diesel locomotive; you can't go wrong with a Bachmann product. BTW, while I model the late 1800s, I still get out the GP35 and MP15DC as a balm to soothe my occasional diesel 'itch'.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Loco722

Hello there,

Thanks for the input guys :). Really helped me.

I have placed the order for the Bachmann EMD GP40 and am waiting for it to be delivered :)!

Just one more question. When I got the Bachmann GE B23-7 to break in the new locomotive I ran it forward at half throttle for 10 mins and reverse again at half throttle for 10 mins. I never did lubricate it even once :-\ (It still runs well though).

After reading some model railroad forums about how to run in a new model locomotive: some plain simple, others there are procedures to follow, I was wondering if I was doing the right thing or not ???. Please let me know.......

Thanks again in advance :)!

Loco 722.

jonathan

Loco722,

I'm not the most knowledgable on this forum.  However, every locomotive I have received, from every manufacturer, has had more than plenty of lubrication.  I wouldn't worry about oil or grease for a while, unless you hear something unusual.

For breaking in, I keep it simple:  forwards and backwards for a few minutes, watching and listening for anything unusual.  Never run at full throttle.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

jward

what my dad and i always swore by, for break in, is a week in yard service sorting cars. that's alot of start and stop, back and forth running and it seems to make them run smoother than just letting them run 10 minutes in each direction.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

my gp40 very smooth . Looking to buy another one, maybe 2 . I bought a gp38 sf which is alittle smaller . There is a line by where i live . And usually 4 of them in tandem pulling steel coil carriers .  about 40 cars sometimes . I take my coal haulers and switch up loads at times .And wish i had the track to pull 40 cars          .Someday .   oh and all are dcc .

mf5117

On this post I am looking to buy another dcc bachmann gp40 . That I want to run in consist . Are the locomotives programmed the same and will they run the same speeds, .on the same channel . No lags , like one a little faster than the other . I just have the digital commander .

jward

they should all run close enough in speed to run in multiple. they all come from the factory set up for address 3. i am not sure what the digital commander is, does it have capability to do some programming other than address changes?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

excuse me it is the low end ez commander from bachmann . the 10 address one , soon i will upgrade . But for now it does what I need . I figured they "the loco's" might be close enough , for operation. but wasn't sure . I sure want another gp40 or 2 . either the gp or the ft units . finding dummys is rather hard . I see them in N , but not much in HO . 

jward

i would think they'd be close enough to run in multiple. i have several bachmann units with dcc onboard, and other than the gp30 and gp35s having flywheels and the gp40s and "gp50" not having them, they all work together for me. for what it's worth, i've also run the gp40s with an atlas trainman rs36 and other locomotives in my fleet without problems.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

Thats good info . Our LCH usually gets a good line of bachmann diesels in , At really good prices . If I can't find what i want there I'll go online . I like trying the LCH 1st , Kepping them in business .

What type of controller do you have mr ward

jward

i am using the digitrax zephyr. it has trouble programming bachmann decoders so most of my bachmanns have only had the adress changed, everything else is at factory default settings.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

Need some advice . www.historicrail.com has a powered and nonpowered gp40 sante fa set . item #r93956c . Comes with a caboose also . Im more interested in the nonpowered gp40 sante fa loco it has .

Is it possible to add a dcc decoder to the powered locomotive in the set  .the ho set is on sale for 39.95 .