News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wall Mounted Layout

Started by GovB, July 22, 2009, 06:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GovB

Planning on wall mounting a loop around my 11' x 22' den (top of door height) and would like ideas on eliminating/dampening the vibrations associated with my 4-6-0 with several cars as they whirl around the room. This is very important as I live in an apartment and don't want to disturb others. Also, if you have suggestions on materials, brackets and anchoring for the do-it-your-selfer it would be great also.

Thanks, GovB  ???
Happy Rails to You, GovB

Joe Satnik

Dear GovB,

LGB makes (made?) rubber roadbed, though it is pricey.  (See e-bay.)

You could also cut rubber foot mats into widths a little wider than your track for sound deadening.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Another thought.

Don't mount to the wall.  Hang from the ceiling by threaded rods.  Use rubber grommets or bushings between the rods and the cross pieces that hold up the tracks to avoid sound transfer up rods to ceiling.   

rod
cross piece
grommet or bushing thru cross piece
flat washer touching only bottom of grommet or bushing
nut
bottom end of rod 

Hope this helps.

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jestor

Do you own or rent? If renting the apartment, it might be wise to check with your "landlord" before carving up the walls or ceilings. I believe that something like this might be considered "modification" of the structure. There goes the security deposit. Just a thought.

GovB

Thanks Jestor. Apt. management will be my first stop. The simple things you never think of. I was just thinking of it as a long shelf.

I've looked online and the wall & ceiling systems are a bit pricey but very well done. But, they gave me some ideas. Any others?

Thanks, GovB  :)
Happy Rails to You, GovB

Joe Satnik

Dear all,

Here's an old thread with the math for cutting shelf corner pieces:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,6808.0.html 

Here's another thread dealing with overhang crashes into the wall:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8931.15.html

Understand them both before drawing up your plans.  (Note: you might have to go with a wider shelf than originally planned to avoid cowcatcher overhang crashes into the wall...)

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

GovB

More great Info! Thanks.

Have not checked w/Apt. Mgt. yet  but, great info on curve cuts and over-hang.  I was considering using 6" shelving but, given the pointer on front pilot over-hang, now I think 8" would be better.  I was thinking of using Bachmann track vs brass track because of the weight difference.  Weight would not exceed LGB 2-6-0 or Bach 4-6-0 + 6 or 8 cars.  Would changing cars to plastic wheels help very much with sound dampening?  Is cork road bed the best for this application?  How thick?  Nail or glue?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. ???

Thanks, GovB :)
Happy Rails to You, GovB

billyr

I have an HO gage suspended train in my game room, About half of it on a shelf like you are thinking and the other half suspended like sugested above (around 100 feet of track). All of the track is on rubberised road base not cork I too was trying to reduce noise. The section on the shelf is really loud in the next room. the suspended section not so bad, but I was supprised by the amount of noise that little train makes.  The suspended stuff I made myself it's very simple to make and looks manufactured. It's easy to hang, but you need to be able to get in attic to hang it my way. I have thought of ways to hang it without attic access. Either way you will be putting alot of holes in walls and/or ceiling! I can send pictures and how I built it if you like. I'm at work now so it would be tonight.

russ

GovB

I have used tool box drawer liner from Harbor Frieght with good results and it not too pricey.

good luck
   Russ