New Bachamnn 1:20.3 flat car with log skidder and crates

Started by Loco Bill, July 23, 2009, 10:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill

With all the attention focused on the new Forney and Long caboose, Many have missed the announcement of the new Spectrum 1:20.3 Flat car with Log Skidder and crates.   The log skidder will also be available seperately.

This new item was in the brochure passed out at the NGRS convention in Denver
The link for the brochure is :  http://www.bachmanntrains.com/newsimages/2009%20NMRA%20pdf/358_sales.pdf   

You will find the new flat car and log skidder on page 10  right under the new Forneys

This looks like a welcome addition for those into logging, or even as a general flat car load in revenue service!!

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Kevin Strong

Well, the photo is obviously not of the 1:20.3 model, so it will be interesting to see. Will the "20' flat car" be the el-cheapo pseudo 1:20 (in name only) flat car, or will it be something new? One can certainly hope for the latter.

Later,

K

Bucksco

Here's an early pre-production shot of the large scale skidder (unpainted) on the flat car . The crate is not shown.

Loco Bill

Yes Kevin it will be interesting,  The couplers are different as are the trucks.  I could not quite figure out the black deck on the car, iIt looks like a cheap add on, but time will tell!

The skidder looks great and I will definitely be getting one. 

BTW Kevin, I really liked your article on scale in GR, probably the best ever!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Bucksco

>> "I could not quite figure out the black deck on the car...."

The skidder is unpainted black plastic - the top surface of the 20 foot flat car is brown.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
For those who want it, the skidder will be available on the small 20' flat, as it was felt that the large flat would make the set too pricey. For those who don't want the small flat, the skidder will be available for you to transport on the rolling stock of your choice.
No new line of cars is contemplated.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Loco Bill

Thanks Bachmann,   

Buckso,    I was referring to the photo of the car in the brochure from Bachmann, not the one in your photo.   The flat in your photo is the old 20 foot flat.  The one in the brochure has a black deck of some sort and the skidder is on the black deck.  Maybe the photo in the brochure is wrong, but it is different!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

jestor

The photo in the brochure is the HO model, judging from the track it's sitting on.

Jon D. Miller

In any case, the photo that Bucksco posted is the little 20' flat.  Then according to the Bach Mann no new car is being produced.

Based on these comments I've cancelled my order for the skidder on the flat car.  Changed order to skidder only.  I have scratch built 1:20.3 twenty-two foot flats and I'll use one of these for the skidder.  The skidder will make a nice addition to the Black Swamp Timber's logging equipment.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Loco Bill

Seems I was a little slow on the uptake on this one.  I did not read the Bach man's reply very well.  Looks like the photo is the HO version.  I have to agree with JD, If the car is just the old version like in Bucksco's photo, I will also pass and just buy the skidder.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Tom Lapointe

GREAT  8) to see the 0n30 skidder being produced in 1:20.3!  ;D  I'll also probably buy 1 or 2 of the skidders - have an Accucraft 1:20.3 flat that needs a load.  Considering the number of Shays & skeleton log cars Bachmann has sold over the years, these should sell terrifically.  Any idea what the price will be yet?  ???                                                                   Tom                                               

Ken

Tom

Skidder  listed at $52:00
   on flatcar            $89:00

Ken C
     GWN

renniks

Quote from: Tom Lapointe on July 25, 2009, 03:01:30 AM
GREAT  8) to see the 0n30 skidder being produced in 1:20.3! 

The original Skidder was in HO and is not available in On30 (wish it was).

Eric UK

Tom Lapointe

My mistake, (on them being made in On30) Erik; now that I think about it, the ones I saw at the Bachmann display at the Amherst Ry. Show last January were the HO ones.

Price sounds VERY reasonable!  ;D  Mr. B., any idea when these will be available ???  (Now I really have a reason to get that logging branch on the garden railway completed this summer!   ;)              Tom

the Bach-man

Hi, Tom,
They're due in this fall.
Have fun!
the Bach-man