News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Standard vs Spectrum

Started by LarrySmith, April 06, 2007, 11:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarrySmith

Can you tell me the quality difference between DCC equiped standard engines like #60711 or #60904 and DCC equiped spectrum engines.  I located a GP35 in DCC standard but not in spectrum.  I have a DCC spectrum SD45 and it is a beautiful engine.  I would like to acquire DCC equip. spectrum quality GP35's.  Please advise.

Thank you
Larry Smith

SteamGene

Sprectrum is the top of the line. Standard is much improved, but neither as detailed or necessarily as good operationally. 
It's BMW vs VW
Lincoln vs Ford
Cadillac vs Chevrolet
Canembert vs mild cheddar
asparagas vs green beans
prime rib vs hamburger
Weatherby vs Savage
steam vs diesel.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Gene,

I thought your last comment would 'slip in' somewhere  :D  "steam vs diesel" is the only proper comparison/answer that can come from a 'steam only' modeler to any question about 'what is better'.  :)

Actually, (now brace yourself, Gene  :) ) I have a three Spectrum diesels. They run very well, smoothly and quietly when I use them - which is  when my kids and grandkids are over. I haven't yet been able to impart the appreciation of railroading at its finest ... the late steam era!

Larry, by all means, go Spectrum over Bachmann standard if you find the right model in the Spectrum line. Mfg. today who are producing 'standard' quality are, of course, doing a much better job than in the 1980s when I last modeled HO. But still, if you can work it into your budget, Spectrum, P2K, Atlas, Athearn Genesis, Kato, BLI, etc., are all good choices over 'standard' lines.

I use mostly Spectrum because they have the widest variety of  high quality, steam era locomotives for the price, on the market.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Actually, I have two P2K C&O GP-7s and an SW-9, two Athearn Milwaukee Road GP-7s and the VT&Ps first diesel, an SW-9, which still needs to be shopped.
Gen
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"