News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Diesels

Started by chuff_n_puff, April 06, 2007, 03:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuff_n_puff

Are there any smooth running diesels as large or larger than the old DD40 that Athearn used to make, although it wasn't a smooth runner. I have looked at several DD40s and own one, which I had converted  to DCC with a sound chip in it. But a sound chip is about a waste of money in these relics, as the gear noises drown out the chip sounds!

Paul M.

There are a few out there that might be a bit smaller, though usually smaller is better when it comes to locomtives for layouts.

Here's a VERY smooth running BLI  diesel:

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Nigel

Quote from: chuff_n_puff on April 06, 2007, 03:23:56 PM
Are there any smooth running diesels as large or larger than the old DD40 that Athearn used to make, although it wasn't a smooth runner. I have looked at several DD40s and own one, which I had converted  to DCC with a sound chip in it. But a sound chip is about a waste of money in these relics, as the gear noises drown out the chip sounds!

Why don't you tune up your Athearn DD40?  It responds well to the standard tune up proceedures for Athearn BB diesels.

Regarding sound, these two engine monsters really need two sound decoders (and two speakers per decoder) to properly simulate the two diesel engines.  One of the decoders should be sound only, and turn off all of the sounds except the engine.  It gets expensive, but.......
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

chuff_n_puff

Nigel, can you lead me to the standard tune up proceedures for Athearn BB diesels? I'm at rogerdmoore9850@alltel.net. Use DD40 tune up for subject line. I'll convert the Bachmann and tune up the Aethern too, thanks, Roger.

Rich R

Try these,

http://www.mcor-nmra.org/Publications/Articles/Athearn_TuneUp.html#TRUCKS

and http://hackitup.railfan.net/athearn.html

Last one is probably more of what you are looking for but bookmark both sites for future use.

Best,
Rich R

jsmvmd

Rich,

I'll second what Nigel said. Hear Hear!!!

It is just the ticket as I will be acquiring some older Athern stuff later this summer.  They will eventually get decoders, too.

Best, Jack

Rich R

Pleasure is entirely mine gents, Only wish I could have been of more help.

Cheers,
Rich R