News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-2

Started by wade, August 03, 2009, 04:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wade

I see the 4-8-2 with sound and DCC is available in N&W. Does anyone know if the N&W version is the same as the 4-8-2s the N&W sold to the W&LE?
Wade
Wade

pdlethbridge

I don't see them listed here, http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mountain/
You'll find them here in N&W mountains, they are listed at the bottom
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mountain/nw.shtml

The Norfolk & Western Railway built its first eight "Mountains" in its shops in Roanoke, VA during 1916. These locomotives (Class K-1, road numbers 100 through 107) had 29 x 28 cylinders, 70" drivers, a boiler pressure of 220 psi, exerted 69,920 lbs of traction effort and weighed 347,000 pounds. The following year another eight (road numbers 108 through 115) duplicates of the first Class K-1s, were built. All of these 4-8-2s entered passenger service.

During World War I, the USRA took over the railroads and it supplied the N&W with ten "Heavy Mountains" (road numbers 116 through 125). They were built by the American Locomotive Company and were designated as Class K-2 . These locomotives had 28 x 30 cylinders, 69" drivers, a 200 psi boiler pressure, exerted 57,950 lbs of tractive effort and weighed 359,460 pounds. Another twelve (road numbers 126 through 137) were bought from the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1923. This group of twelve, designated Class K-2a, were identical to the ten built by ALCO in 1919. Later, road numbers 116 through 137 were up-dated and received semi-streamlining, 70" drivers, an increased boiler pressure of 220 psi resulting in 62,832 lbs of tractive effort.

In 1926, the Roanoke Shops built ten "Mountains" (road numbers 200 through 209). These locomotives, designated Class K-3, had 28 x 30 cylinders, 63" drivers, a boiler pressure of 225 psi and exerted 68,880 lbs of tractive effort. They were built for through freight service, but because they could not provide the speed needed they were assigned to coal freight. This group was later sold to the D&RGW and the RF&P, during World War II, only to come back as W&LE numbers 6801 through 6810.

There are no surviving N&W "Mountains".

wade

Thanks for the information. Does anyone know which class of N&W 4-8-2 the Bachmann model represents? I would measure the drivers if I already had one.
Wade
Wade

pdlethbridge

andrechapelon

Quote from: pdlethbridge on August 04, 2009, 01:11:08 PM
I think it's a K2

Yup, it's a K-2 before all the rebuilding that made them look like little J's.

Andre

pdlethbridge

Ah, the Baby J. Great looking engine

Virginian

The K-3s (W&LE engines) were heavier boilered locos than the K-1s and K-2s, and were not deemed a success by the N&W.  They had the piston rod connected to the third driver, rather than the second driver as on most four coupled engines, and they suffered from imbalance problems that limited their speed.
I sure wish Bachmann had modeled the K-1s of the 50s.
"What could have happened... did."

pdlethbridge

The only problem I've seen with the Bachmann engine is that it has 4 wheel trucks rather than 6 on the tender

Nigel

Quote from: pdlethbridge on August 18, 2009, 09:26:29 AM
The only problem I've seen with the Bachmann engine is that it has 4 wheel trucks rather than 6 on the tender
The N&W K2 (USRA 4-8-2 Heavy) originally came with four wheel tender trucks and smallish USRA tenders - like Bachmann's model.  They later received modifications and larger tenders over the years.  After WWII, all of the K2 and K2a locomotives were rebuilt with streamlining in the style of the J.

You could kit bash an appropriate six axle trucked tender for the K2/K2a before the post WWII rebuild from a Bachmann A-Tank.  The length, cistern shape and trucks are correct; you just need to fabricate a coal bunker, and front end.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

pdlethbridge

thanks for the info

ryeguyisme

it'd be nice to get an unstreamlined version of this engine

SteamGene

Let's face it.  It's impossible to model a steam locomotive in all its versions.  Bachmann chose to produce the USRA heavy Moutain for N&W in its "as delivered" condition and the C&O version "as shopped."  I don't know why they did that, but they did.  BLI did the USRA heavy Mikado for Milwaukee Road "as delivered."  I'd like the 1950s version...
Gene.
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"