Do you think I could use a GP-35 Rio Grande to model a W&LE GP-35-3?

Started by simkon, August 04, 2009, 06:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simkon

I was thinking of basing it off of former D&RGW 3045.  Here's some info on it... It was purchased by W&LE from UP in 1997. Then it was sold to CIT Financial in 1999 and leased by the W&LE. It was rebuilt in 1997. The unit retains its D&RGW black and orange paint and lettering. Also carries name "W.J. Holtman" on low nose. Unit has low short hood with EMD trucks.
So basically I'm asking what is the difference between the GP-35 and the GP-35-3? Is it the length? Or are they pretty much the same thing (exterior appearance)?

jward

i don't have a photo handy, but i believe that the d&rgw unit on the w&le is pretty much the same as it was before rebuild.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jettrainfan

By the looks, there is no diffrence. It must mean it was....rebuilt?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

jward

yeah it was an internal rebuild. i am not sure of the specifics, but usually when something is called a dash 3, it involves rebuilding the locomotive with updated electronics and a microprocessor control. remember the gp35s were built in the mid 1960s, and probably used vacuum tube technology, and hand wired circuits. the dash 2 line introduced modular circuit boards with solid state components (diodes and transistors among other things.)

i have a photo of 3045 from last summer when it was in connellsville, pa. i will have to look it up and post it.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Rashputin

Mid-60s units didn't even use vacum tubes except in their radios.  They were rely based units like earlier GP series units.  The -2 series started the use of electronics in earnest and with custom made boards about the size of the average current laptop motherboard.  Since then, of course, they can build pretty much whatever they like into a unit with standard components and the space available is not a problem.

Regards