News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

General Information

Started by CGLowry, July 09, 2009, 07:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CGLowry

Can you please point me to a location where I can obtain information about Williams Locomotives?  There aren't any dealers nearby, so I've never even been able to see one.  Specifically, what's the difference between Golden Memories vs Traditional Line?  Are they "Scale" size, that is Standard O vs Traditional O in Lionel speak.  I gather since the ads not say otherwise that they are all conventionally controlled, so are they AC or DC.  Are they 3 Rail or 2 Rail?  Can they be operated using a Lionel CW 80 Transformer?    I understand that these are a lot of questions, but try as I might, I cannot find any of this information on the Bachmann Web Site, so I would really appreciate any information provided.

OGReditor

The "Golden Memories" series are Williams by Bachmann reproductions of some of the classics from Lionel's postwar period.  All (or nearly all) are slightly smaller than scale size, although some items are scale or very close to scale.

The "Traditional Line" items are scale-size in some instances and not scale size in others.  Depends on which items you are particularly interested in.

All locomotives are conventionally controlled, as issued.

All locomotives are configured for AC operation.

All items are 3-rail.

Although I suppose most, or all, Williams by Bachmann items can be operated with the Lionel CW-80, it is not a transformer I recommend for anything other than Lionel trains.  I have had too many problems with CW-80s (three of them in the past) to recommend operating other brands with this transformer.

rtraincollector

The CW-80 transformer first issues had problems that have since suposely corrected theres a way to tell which you have but I'm not sure. Personally If you can I would look into a lionel postwar ZW 1st choice and second choice I would go with either MTH Z4000 or Lionel new zw with at least 2, 180 watt power bricks

CGLowry

I apologize for taking so long to respond, but I would like to thank each of you for taking the time to answer my questions.

DominicMazoch

Also, Williams works well with Lionel's TMCC in conventional mode.  Can get engines to crawl with no problems, and you can walk around while running your train.

Len

The Atlas 80 Watt transformer works very well with WbyB locos also. And it's about $40.00 cheaper than a CW-80.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.