News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-2

Started by rustycoupler, August 06, 2009, 10:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustycoupler

i thought since i have a northern 4-8-4 j i could buy a 4-8-2 for my layout and the engine doesent make the same curves , what gives its a beutiful engine but it  dosent pull worth anything very dissapointed.

in_eden

heavy or light?
The heavy mountains were an absolute home run, maybe one of the top three n scale steam releases ever... but the light mountains are completely different. Won't pull, have wheels out of gauge...
I have a 4-8-4 J and a heavy mountain, and each run on 9.75" radius curves, although the J doesn't like it!
My Heavy mountain is the best and most reliable steam loco I own!
Gave up on the light.

rustycoupler

yes unfortunately it is the light mountain ,well i guess i will get another 2-8-0.

Kelly

I glued some lead weight to the roof of the cab , and it now pulls 8 heavyweight passenger cars (no grades ).

brokemoto

It does tend to climb on sharper curves.  It seems to like curves of fifteen inches or better.

As for the pulling power, you must have one of the earlier runs.  The problem is that the driver pair with the traction tyre does not make proper contact with the rails.  What you need do is remove the cover plate, raise up the bearing blocks slightly out of their journals, and insert a shim made of hockey tape, or similar.  This will address the pulling power problem.

The above description is, of course, an oversimplification.  There are tutorials on the fix on various model railroad forums.  Check one of them.

I have heard rumours that Bachpersonn did address the problems on subsequent runs of this one, but, as I have never bought one of the later runs, I can not state for certain that Bachmann did address the problem.