News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Runaway Locomotive

Started by BestSnowman, August 13, 2009, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestSnowman

I had some interesting behavior from one of my Bachmann locomotives the other day. My son was running it and all of a sudden it stopped responding to my Zephyr. I could start and stop other locomotives but the runaway kept going till I cut the power to the whole layout.

I thought it was conicidental until just now when my son was running it just now. He stopped it by moving the speed to zero (not using the Zephyr's brake) and it wouldn't start moving until I reset the power again.

This is a non-plug Bachmann decoder installed in an older Bachmann diesel, any thoughts on why it would be doing this?

Thanks,
Matt
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jward

the runaway problem can probably be rectified by disabling the analog feature on the decoder. you won't be able to run the locomotive on dc though. checque the literature that came with the decoder for instructions on how to disable analog.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

If disabling analogue conversion does not solve the problem, try setting the Zephyr's OP Switch 36 to c to clear decoder and mu information from its memory.  Instructions for doing this are on pages 46 and 47 of your manual.  Sometimes an address ends up in more than one slot, usually because it is left in a consist or is not dispatched properly out of the command station.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

BestSnowman

I had a chance to take a look at this a little closer, I noticed the light would only come on in reverse (Since its an F9 I have the only LED wired up to turn on for front and backwards). I decided to do a full reset (write 8 to CV8) and the LED problem persisted. The light had been working properly but I don't know how long its been acting up. If I have time tomorrow I'm going to rewire and try to determine if there is a short or something thats causing the issues.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog