News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E33 vibration

Started by Hellhound, August 16, 2009, 12:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellhound

Just got a GE E33 locomotive (product # 82403) When I did a test run I noticed right away that it has lots of vibration, I could feel it through the table and it is excessively loud. I have a Bachmann FTA and GP50 that both run smooth and quiet. Anyone else have an E33 that runs like this? I haven't yet looked at the drive train to see if there is a reason for this. ...Looks like this one may have to be a warranty return.

simkon

Did you buy it from a local dealer or from an online dealer? If online it may have been damaged in transit or it could just be defective. Also is it an older or newer run?

Hellhound

It is the one listed in the current online catalog, a spectrum, DCC ready, 12 wheel drive,  in the green box. It was purchased from an online retailer since there is no hobby shop within 50 miles. I am hesitant to try and disassemble it since it is super detailed and I don't want to risk damage to anything.

simkon

Did you already break it in? Also it may be just something minor that would be an easy fix, maybe something is loose or touching that's not supposed to be.

Hellhound

No break in, I shut it down when I noticed something abnormal. I was wondering if the drive train was a little rough and might smooth out with some run time. The drive train could also be out of balance which is not likely to improve with run time. I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to get it corrected. The more I look at the exploded view and examine the loco, the less I want to try and disassemble it.

bobwrgt

It's just the way they are made. They are not quiet and do make more noise than most. I think it has to do with the way the trucks are designed.
Some oil where the axles ride in the truck frames will help some.
They are a heavy locomotive also.
I have also had the Atlas U33c that makes more axle noise than most.
Both have the same axle design where the axle end carries all the weight in the truck side frame pickups.

robbyt

I had one of the side wheel covers (that hold the wheels on) come of on its initial run. I snapped it back on, but the wheels on that truck are still looser than the other truck. I've been trying to sell it online but no takers. I'm wondering now if this loco has a bad reputation.

Reinhard S

Hi.

I have the Virginian E33 (82402) for a year now and, as well, just recently purchased the N+W E33 (82402).  These locomotives, by there design, are massive brutes producing an abundant hauling capacity especially when run in consist as I do.  I have not noticed any vibration from either unit and the noise level is equal to other 6 axle units (I say it is a sound decoder for an electric locomotive that does not require speakers).  You may want to return it to bachmann for repairs if the vibration is excessive.

All the best.

Reinhard