News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann and Walthers you loose again

Started by bobwrgt, August 16, 2009, 04:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobwrgt

Why is it so hard for Manufactures to publish the specs. on the products they make.
I am in the market for a 2-10-2 or 2-10-4 . I'm pretty sure i will purchase the IHC model because i know it will run OK on 22in radius with no problems. Bachmann and Walthers do not show any information on the Proto 2-10-2 or the Bachmann 2-10-4 (yes the 2-10-4 is just out).
What are they waiting for ? Let the modeler test it?
In the last few months i have purchased several loco,s from Europe and they publish the specs. Hornby, Roco, Fleischmann publish the radius and Not only that the total length of the engine and tender.
I am not in a position to shell out $100.00 to see if a model will work.

If any other fellow modelers have experience running the Proto 2-10-2 or the Bachmann new 2-10-4 i would like to hear from you.

Bob

simkon

The bachmann 2-10-4 should be okay, as most bachmann locos are fine on 22" radius, with maybe one exception. A friend at my local club has one and he didn't have any trouble, but your track laying has to be good with little or no imperfections. You'll be in great shape on 24s though, and the track can be not as perfect.

Stephen D. Richards

Bob, I have both and they run fine on 22" curves.  Not good on anything smaller.  They do look kinda funny but run fine.  I also am using EZ Track for the time being until my layout room is finished.  Stephen

Frisco

I don't own the others, but I have a IHC 2-10-2 is it's awonderful model, will take 18" radius no problem, and looks half decent on 22",  not the best detail, but it's one of the sturdiest runners around, and, based off of what I've read compared to my own tests, will pull more then the PK2, and as much if not more then the Bachmann. Just my 2Cs

Pacific Northern

I have the IHC, Proto Heritage and Spectrum 2-10-2's.

I rank the Spectrum as the most detailed, with the Heritage a close 2nd the IHC has less detail but is quite acceptable. All three are great looking engines.

The Heritage is the best running (Spectrum is close 2nd) however, note that  the Spectrum and IHC are both less than half the price of the Proto Heritage engine which is expensive.

My layout has 22" radius and all three run well. The review by Model Railroader indicated that the Spectrum would run on 18" min radius curves.

The Spectrum engine and the IHC are both very good pullers, the Heritage comes with traction tires and without the tires is not a very good puller at all. It certainly is a reminder of the Heritage 2-8-4 which was also not a very good pulling engine and did not come with traction tires until a later release.

Pacific Northern

bobwrgt

The Bachmann in question is the new 2-10-4 Santa Fe just released. It is like the Non-Spectrum 4-8-4 with oil tender.
I had a Spectrum 2-10-2 with DCC i sent back for repair or replacement because there was so much play in the center drivers that one would osculate in and out so bad it would slap the rail making a hammering sound as it would run. Bachmann sent it back to me just as bad as when i sent it in. At the time i also only had 18in radius and it would slow down in the curves. The second time they replaced it with a heavy Mountain.
Now i have 22in radius but that wouldn't have helped the wheel slapping the rail.

Pacific Northern

Too bad about your problem Spectrum 2-10-2.

There is no doubt a problem with the quality control with Bachmann.  The chances of getting a defective engine seems to be greater with Bachmann than other brands.  But then again how many engines are produced by Bachmann in comparison to Heritage (Proto) and others in their steam engines?

However, if you do get a good 2-10-2 like I have (actually have three and they all run with no problems) you have a quality engine at a reasonable price.

Not to forget that they have the best warranty going. I have had problems with others - Proto comes to mind and there is no exchange/repair on well used engines after a year anywhere else.
Pacific Northern

WoundedBear

Quote from: Pacific Northern on August 17, 2009, 05:22:55 PM
There is no doubt a problem with the quality control with Bachmann.  The chances of getting a defective engine seems to be greater with Bachmann than other brands.

LOL....

Very good made in China......we make 10,000 per minute.....no quality, but lots of control.

;D

Sid

Atlantic Central

Bob,

Did the idea ever cross your mind that maybe it is not a good idea to run such a large locomotive on such tight curves?

These are not Lionel toys, they are reasonably accurate scale models.

The locomotives you are refering to would have had a hard time with a what scales down to a 30" curve and even that would have been a curve it would had to take at 5 or 10 mph. So if they run well on 22" or 26" curves that's good.

In the opinion of most people, locos that large certainly look silly going around 18" curves, even if they can manage it.

Sheldon